MAjor problem MAF or something else - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 ti & 147 GTA

MAjor problem MAF or something else

Started the car this mornig and the engine light came on .drove the car and there was a feeling of lost horses.After 300km the feul gauge suddenly start dipping and i think i used 20 l of fuel for 50km nearly made it the the next garage.threw in petrol and then the car threw motorcontrolsystem failure like made .Driving 140km/h the car mist and therres a feeling of power and nothing and then power again and then nothing constantly coming and going.The car revs fine.

pls help
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Hmmm Re: MAjor problem MAF or something else

that sounds like the probs, i,am having with my jtd 156 , will the car go over 3000rpm ok.
AO Member

Member car:

a bmw

Re: MAjor problem MAF or something else

my car was doing that a while agao and it was the throttle position sensor for the fly by wire sysyem.ive also had maf problems but mine was just a loss of power and didnt involve any missing

Been having the same problem with my 156jts. System failure light come on (with alarming bleeps) and the power periodically dissappears whilst driving. Pedal to the metal and be lucky to get to 65-70mph. Been in to Alfaman in Rayners Lane London a few times and they clear the problem but only short term - they seem stumped by this problem but are as keen as me to retify it once and for all. Unfortunately advice on faulty MAF's and Lambda sensors is wasted on me - I just want to drive my car and put oil into it every now and again.
This car is my first Alfa and when its going well its terrific. But these problems are becoming a serious drag and I would seriously think twice about buying again.
Never had any problems with previous cars - Toyota, VW. Drab looks but reliable.
If anyone has the magic answer to my problem please let me know and I can pass the info on to the guys at Alfaman
AO Member

What fault codes were being stored? You'd need to hook up a computer and look at the lambda sensors and the MAF max reading plus maybe the fuel trims.

A stab in the dark might be to disconnect the MAF and if things improve (though not the fuel consumption) then get a new MAF....but that's a stab without any real data.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

maf , major , problem