Rear Lower damper bolt stuck - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD

Rear Lower damper bolt stuck

Any ideal how to unscrew bolt stuck from lower damper bracket.
Nut released but the long bolt stuck
No going out
Any special way to take out.
It holding two trail arm and the damper from lower
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

I tried to undo mine and same thing with me. I still haven't bothered with it but i'm guessing you will either need heat like a blow torch or cut it off and buy a new bolt.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Lots and lots of plus gas - this seems to be the recuring advice.

There are a number of threads on this issue.
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

156 Sport 2005

i have done some reading on this recently actually, and got round to cleaning it but not releasing the nut yet. either way, to summarise:

clean up the bolt head and thread as much as you can using a wire brush on a drill. I bought this one and it was excellent, works much better than the pics suggest:

then, now this is where you have a choice, either soak with wonder wheels OR white vinegar. Apparently wonder wheels fizzes and does all sorts of wonderful stuff to remove the corrosion, but I don't have any and used white vinegar and in truth I'm not sure it did all that much - So go with the wonder wheels option if I were you. To apply it I took a sock, soaked it in <insert product here> and wrapped it around and left it over night.

next day removed sock and re-attacked with the wire brush. Then gave the bolt head, and then the thread, a few swift taps with lump hammer to (hopefully) break up any corrosion inside the bracket. Then spray with PlusGas, you can probably do a sock soaking here too if you want to. Leave overnight.

remove sock, where applicable, give it a few more taps with hammer and applications of plus gas. have a cup of tea/coffee/bovril. now attack bolt with a long breaker bar. if you're not happy with the force being applied you can try heating the bracket. be careful as if it transfers too much heat to the shock you'll ruin it.

AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Originally Posted by billwan View Post
Any ideal how to unscrew bolt stuck from lower damper bracket.
Nut released but the long bolt stuck
No going out
Any special way to take out.
It holding two trail arm and the damper from lower
That's the one with the spacer. It's lots of plusgas (not WD40!) and patience. Fit the nut on the end and tap GENTLY as you turn the bolt back and forth with a ring spanner. The nut will stop the threads getting mangled. Or buy new bolts, spacers and nuts and attack the barstewards!
AO Gold Member
The main thing is to clean up as much as possible the bolt where it is exposed between the two webs of the hub, and yes, soak in the release agent of your choice.......loosening the nut is rarely a problem, but the bolt being stuck in the webs of the hub certainly is - and of course as Alfa in their wisdom haven't put a proper bolt head on the other end - just a couple of flats, you can't get a good socket and breaker bar on it to get it moving, so really its just down to cleaning up as much as possible, then applying controlled violence with a lump hammer!

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
If you can then reassemble it and order a bolt from Alfa, they were about 12 when I bought 1 a few years ago then lump hammer the old one out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bolt , damper , lower , rear , stuck