iPod in a 2008 GT with Bose - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
iPod in a 2008 GT with Bose

Due to a resounding chorus of silence when I posted this in the ICE Lounge, I'm now posting it here too!

As per the thread title. Just got a 2008 GT with Bose, I'd like to connect up an iPod with as much functionality as possible. Any ideas for leads/gizmos folks?

Can anyone help please?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

The official Alfa interface (for GT and Mito) works fine but with limited functionality.

It imitates the CD changer (which you have to unplug) so you end up only being able to access 10 playlists on your ipod (instead of 10 CDs in your changer) which can be a PITA. I found not being able to use a "shuffle" function the real deal-breaker.

I ended up installing an Alpine Bluetooth unit which has a rear iPod connector which I ran into the glove box. With a Connects2 steering wheel interface fitted as well, I have full control from the steering wheel.

Would have liked to keep the original headunit for aesthetics, but it's too restricted in functionality for me.
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I fitted a Parrot Mk9200 Which fits perfectly in the ashtray so you can close it and it's hidden.

Microphone on top of the rearview mirror and and I ran the iPod/Aux/USB lead into the glovebox.

Although you do lose the steering wheel controls I put the wireless remote just in front of the window switches on the drives door.

Also adds Bluetooth for your phone.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
someone was advertsing a Connect 2 earlier this week - that should also work.
AO Member
County: Glasgow
I have an XCarLink for my iPod with the bluetooth add on for my phone in my GT. Quite expensive, but its worth it for how much I use it, and it goes through the standard stereo, steering controls work etc.

Alfa Romeo Ipod Interface*::*ALFA ROMEO*::*XCarLink
Great stuff chaps, thanks so much.

Any more ideas welcome, if indeed there are any more!

There's already a plumbed-in Parrot kit in the car, that works fine and can stay as is.

So far I really like the look and sound of the XCarLink thingy. So long as I can have the iPod in shuffle I'll be pretty happy. If a track comes up which I don't fancy I just skip to the next one. And by the sound of it, I'll be able to do this using the steering wheel controls. So that's all good! I guess I have the choice of whether to mount the iPod somewhere on the dash and be able to control it, or just leave it in the glovebox on random shuffle. But as I say, probably the latter will do for me.

The only thing I wonder about is whether the device takes digits out of the iPod and uses its own (probably superior) D to A convertors. But my ears aren't what they used to be, I probably wouldn't particularly notice TBH.
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
Do a double din unit.

Or belkin air caste
Well, I got the XCarLink and fitted it today. Pretty straightforward to do, and I even managed to get their techy guy Russ on the phone for a little natter last week.

I also took the opportunity to move the Parrot handsfree display from right on top of the centre console (previous owner ) to next to the steering wheel base, where only I can see it.

The XCarLink doesn't seem to work well with the dashboard display, I can't get track names up. Also, I don't seem to be able to get playlists to work (this is meant to be possible by going up and down the CD ports in the changer, but instead of changing CD's it's suggested you should be able to go up and down the playlists off the iPod). The only display functionality I seem to have is time elapsed of whatever song is playing.

If anyone can suggest a way of making these work, that'd be great. But to be honest, I wasn't necessarily expecting these things, just to be able to play the iPod in the car on shuffle is great, and I can skip to the next track using steering wheel control (or indeed, on the headunit).

If I want to select an artist or an album, I still have the option of manually controlling the iPod (of course, not on the move!)

Generally, I'm a pretty happy bunny .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

2008 , bose , ipod