Suspension knocking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Cry Like A Baby Suspension knocking

I've been reading a few of the posts on suspension noise, but I'd welcome any guidance on my problem.
I have a '04 147 T Spark Lusso (acquired a few weeks ago) that clonks most of the time, particularly on rough roads. I've had the front ARB drop links changed but the knocking is still there. Two garages have checked it out, and can't find anything adrift. First garage suggested faulty shocks, but paperwork that came with the car shows they were changed about a year and 5000 miles ago; I've seen then and externally they look okay. Second garage thinks lower arms are on the way out, but isn't sure. (The car also has a sloppy gear lever, but I can live with that for now).
Just for a laugh, I rang an Alfa dealer: lol. They want just over 1000 to fix the lot; labour at 100 per hour accounts for some of that, but they are charging 170-ish + VAT for each lower arm. Before I go off and re-mortgage the house, does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be, so that I can get the right bits?
I can forgive the car as other than this, it's an Alfa!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Highlands

Member car:

Lower arms are a distinct possibility..... but then again so are the uppers. To be honest once one starts to go 'off' they all do in pretty short order
Bite the bullet and get uppers and lowers done at same time would be one idea
Plenty of sources for the parts and any competent garage will ace the work quickly. Make sure you get the alignment done at the same time.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 15-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Wave Suspension knocking

Just thought I'd add an update. Had the 147 in a local independent garage that happily had come across this before. They've changed the front lower arms, which improved it a bit, but thought they'd found an issue with the anti-roll bar bushes. They changed those too, and bingo, it's all okay again, and it only cost 230 all in!
Thanks for the advice and info on the forum, I wouldn't have sorted it without you!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

knocking , suspension