I'm hoping to become an Alfa GT owner soon, and I've looked at this car:
Alfa Romeo GT Jtd FULL LEATHER 1.9 2dr
Sorry for the big link!
It's unclear as to whether it's had a cambelt done - presumably I'd want that doing - would a water pump be advisable at the same time too?
Aside from the suspension squeaks is there anything else I need to look at?
I've sat in the car - everything appears to work ok and it seems in really nice overall condition. Small bump on the rear bumper, but that aside it's really nice indeed. Hoping to have a drive in a couple of days.
Thanks in advance for any tips. Really excited about the prospect of finally owning an Alfa!
Hi there, I've previously owned a Gt and they are pretty reliable cars, that said look out for these after you do all the usual second hand car checks to make sure the wear, bills and mileage match :-
1) yes if the cam belt needs replacing factor in a METAL impeller water pump
2) Get it up to speed (60-80mph)to check for steering wobbles as these cars have soft (standard) alloys that are prone to buckling + drive shafts can bend/fail on our potholed streets
3) diesels suffer a lot from sooted up egr valves etc. (£120 to replace) but plenty on here of how to clean them up (lots of stop start/short journeys)
4) drivers side bolster can wear on the leather trim
5) tailgate rattles on early cars due to insufficient spot welds
6) (as you mentioned) suspension squeaks and knocks. the worst one of these is the ARB bush failure as I was quoted £250 for this alone! but usually £250 per corner for top and bottom wishbones and drop links
7) inner edge on the front tyres worn, needs toe set to zero
8) make sure all electrics work including cruise control, mirrors, windows, air con, EVERYTHING
9) Exterior door handles can break (some people yank" at them, and they are only made of aluminium) repair part now available ebay item number = 121196061692
My local garage would fix and paint the entire bumper for £150 (he always tells me £150 a panel if you go looking for a new car)
this list is not definitive