Unravelling the 156 specification mysteries - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Unravelling the 156 specification mysteries

God, it's complicated, isn't it? OK, I think I've got the basics right - Turismo is base model, Lusso is "luxury" and Veloce is the sporty one. But there's more than that to it, isn't there? Especially in the early days, with "option packs" to complicate things.

What I'm looking for, God willing, is a 156 with 1.8 engine, leccy front windows (not rear ones), aircon or climate control, hopefully a sunroof too, the wooden dash and steering wheel, and with a little bit of luck the gorgeous Momo leather interior. I don't want one of those coffee tables on the boot lid. I'm prepared to spend no more than £6.5k. Now .... am I likely to find that little lot all on one car, or is it asking too much? Is some of this stuff optional (meaning "tough, Carl, you are REALLY going to have your work cut out finding a car like that")?

And another silly question - is there anywhere, apart from the brochures which I don't have, that lists ALL the spec variations and options that appeared over the years? I've looked at some other threads on here, and I've come to the conclusion that the stuff you see in car price magazines is not to be trusted.

Here's hoping....
Sponsored Links
Re: Unravelling the 156 specification mysteries

I am sure 6.5k can get you a nice example. I have just sold my beloved w-plate GTV and bought a 2.4 JTD Lusso on an '03 for 7.5k BUT it has all the extras and I saw plenty of 1.8 / 2.0 T sparks at well below your budget when I was looking. The only thing you may struggle for is a sunroof. Mine has one but that was luck, not good judgement.

Best of luck in your search
AO Platinum Member
County: Durham

If it's wood and leather you're after the Lusso is the car for you.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

As the Sunroof cost over 700 as an option, they aren't that common! My dealer wondered why I wanted one when I had climate control ...
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 v6

I am sure you will find one for that money i bought a 2.5 v6 156 with leather climate control electric windows all round stunning car to look at and to drive and it was only 3.5k i have had a few teething problems though

Why wooden sterring wheel, Oh why!

Go for a Veloce with leather on seats and steering wheel. SO much nicer.

Also, I see very few 156s with spoliers on the back, the only local one is a silver one with a HUGE tall wing that makes it look silly, oh and it has 15" chrome motorland style wheels! You don't want that!

PS Why a 1.8 - The 2.0 litre is near on same running costs and gets the funky VVT stuff and nicer exhaust note.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire

Might as well go for the 2L, it's easily in your budget, strangely though you might struggle to get the half timbered ship's wheel. If I remember rightly it was standard on the Lusso 'pack', but by the time they got to the registrations you are likely to be looking at it was an option and as such not often chosen.
6.5K might even get you into the first of the mid face lift 'Lusso's which had the better interior dual zone climate, Bose etc, Oh and JTS motor with a bit more grunt.
Hmmm Re: Unravelling the 156 specification mysteries

just as to confuse you a bit more .

1.8 revs quicker than the 2.0 , but it hasn`t got the balancershafts.

earlier cars with single cataylitic converters have 4-5 horsepower more .

1.8 144 hp later 140 hp

2.0 155 hp later 150 hp

I think might be about 2000 when they changed them ?
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

I found it as hard as you to work out what spec was what...

I had a 2003 156 2.0 JTS Turismo and I've only just found out that it was the "base" model. It certainly didn't seem like it to me..

It had manual rear windows but not leather seats. The Veloce 1 has electric windows and cloth seats while the Veloce 2 has leather seats.
The Lusso seems very rare as I never came across one while looking to replace my Tursimo (recently written off, see thread on this forum..).

With a 6.5k budget you can get a good low mileage 2003 year version which had the uprated engine and interior. I would go for the 2.0 litre version rather than the 1.8 myself..

These companies seem quite good to deal with..

http://www.alfaromeolombarda.co.uk ask for Pietro..

http://www.veloces.co.uk more expensive but quality motors...

My first 156 which was a 1998 2.0 Twin Spark had a wooden steering wheel and I agree with you, it was very nice but they seem almost non existent now. Maybe you could buy and fit your own??

Hope this helps...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , mysteries , specification , unravelling