GT 3.2 v6 gear knob - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 29-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Black GT 3.2 v6

Crazed GT 3.2 v6 gear knob

Hopefully a simple one, my gear knob has disintegrated, leather has come off and the rubber is perishing away.

I lifted the top bit off and was baffeld by the plastic part on the stick, does this come off easily?

I understand the 6 speed box and lift for reverse gate; can anyone point me in the right direction so I can either replace with an OEM, or find something that is compatable?

As always many thanks for your help, loving my 3.2 v6

Sponsored Links
The gear knob just needs brute force to remove. Grab hold of it and pull it upwards hard. A bit of twisting will help. There is a spring under the knob which will likely disappear into the distance.

Genuine Replacements are available for about 40 from Partsworld interweb store.

Aftermarket knobs don't fit well because the collar for the reverse lift is huge, and the shaft is splined. Grub screw fixings just don't fit well at all.

To fit a new OE one, you fit it on the shaft and whack it really hard with a rubber mallet. Cover the gear knob with a leather shammy or similar to protect it. Again, pure brute force.

I used a wooden mallet, a bit of off cut softwood and a leather shammy to fit mine. I put a cross cross pattern on the first replacement I fitted by using a microfibre cloth to 'protect' it. The microfibre pattern etched itself into the aluminium top.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gear , knob