Selespeed - Recommended? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 01-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Selespeed - Recommended?

Hi All,

thinking about getting a selespeed as I'm stuck in the city about 50% of my driving time with the other 50% motorways and country lanes. Like the idea of using fully auto stuck in traffic then flipping to semi-auto on the open road but I know there are issues with the actuators failing and have heard some horror stories.

As the car I will be going for (if i decide to!) will be second hand as there anything to look/listen for? Are the units fairly robust if cared for and do they require any special care? Is there life span the same as manual or should you expect them to die at some point?

On another tack - is there any reason why a sele box couldn't be coupled to a JTD engine? I know Alfa dont manufacture one but other marques dont seem to mind coupling autos and diesel

Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Re: Selespeed - Recommended?

i have the 147 selespeed and i really like it, i bought second hand (2nd owner) and now have almost 56'000 miles on the clock, never had any trouble with it yet. i tend to use only the semi auto option tho, i find the paddles really fun to drive with! i see a few on here have had some pretty bad luck with their seles but i think its just the luck of the draw, as with any car from any manufacturer.

i dont see why it couldnt be coupled to the JTD but as you say, alfa dont do this as standard so it may be a big job!
AO Member

Member car:

156 Selespeed

I luv driving Selespeed bro..It's different! It's a manual with automated clutch system...not the same as sequential auto box...anyway, I experienced some shifting problems with my seles...nothing major. Lets just say that it works similar to the just cannot click and click as you like....
AO Member

Member car:

156 Selespeed

I have a 2.0JTS Selespeed with the paddles and I wouldn't go back to a manual. Despite what people say, once you get used to it you can drive it as smoothly as a manual in traffic and on the open road it is fantastic.

I drove a manual 156 today and it is not as much fun by a long way. I think the Selespeed has a reputation far worse than reality.

The selespeed system is good fun. I think that the reason that it is only fitted to 2.0 cars is that the system uses a fair bit of power to run which is drawn through the alternator and would really be more noticeable on lower power cars, or maybe it is that the selespeed uses fly by wire throttle and alfa don't have one to use with diesel engines, or maybe they see it as a sports option and decided that keeping it to the 2.0 litre is a way of trying to do a bit of brand promotion!

I don't know.

I tend to drive it in semi-auto when on open roads, and in fully auto mode when in cities, or when I just can't be bothered with changinig gear!
My wife always leaves it in city mode. It still goes well in city mode but makes some interesting decisions!

AO Member

Selespeed is great, but the city mode is not as smooth as a normal auto. I suggest you drive one to see if you like it. But to be honest it is so easy to change gears with the buttons/stick/paddles that you probably won't use the city mode! As far as what to look for re-second hand, get someone who has a selespeed to drive the prospective car and look for regular servicing records. A looooooong warranty would be good!
AO Gold Member

Mine has done 97 K and I love it !!!

do not listen to all horror stories... if you like it buy it !
AO Member

Selespeed is fantastic on open roads and cruising but I've got reservations round town. Even with city mode you still have to concentrate on driving it and what gear you're in in stop-start traffic. The 2nd to 1st change is a bit of a pain. Will only do it automatically when the car is actually stopped so you'll need to do it manually every now and then. Have ended up with the occassional wheelspin as the car is just in the process of downshifting as I push on the gas to move off. You think you're in second but suddenly the car is in 1st and the clutch bites in.

It's a bit jerky in rush hour traffic. My advice is to get your hands on one and give it a try. Even think about renting one for 2 days to try it out in rush hour.

I don't do alot of rush hour driving so maybe lack of familiarity is one of my problems. If you like to drive in a laid back style just letting the car do it's thing, then don't get a selespeed. If you like to be involved in the driving process, then selespeed is probably for you.
AO Member

Originally Posted by rogan
Selespeed is fantastic on open roads and cruising but I've got reservations round town.

It's a bit jerky in rush hour traffic.
Agreed..... I love mine on the open road, but it gets really annoying in stop start slow moving traffic.

Apart from a paddle breaking, i've never had any problems with it though.
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA Manual

i Love my selespeed. did have an actuator problem but was fixed under warranty 2 days before warranty expired (thank god!)
hardly drive in city mode but when you do, 2nd gear holds on for just a little too long. but once you have driven it for a few months, every car you drive you will want to change gears with 'imaginary' paddles!

I'd agree on the 2nd to 1st change. In semi-auto, the cars has to stop for the auto change down to happen, doesn't change by buttons below 10 mph, and won't shift into 1st with stick unless foot on brake. In city it shifts down to 1st at about 8mph by itself!

The city mode is good, but you do have to truck it - As in leave a bigger than normal gap between yourself and the car in front to keep it smooth. However, all of this doesn't matter because the look on peoples faces when you change down at speed is brilliant, the car blips the throttle to perfection, slots in the next gear and you're off!

Mine needed a new selespeed fluid pump which cost 430, and a new actuator is about 1000 fitted. Be aware of the risks, negotiate a lump off because of the risks and enjoy it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

recommended , selespeed