Power steering problem? #Newbie.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-10-13 Thread Starter
County: Newport

Member car:

alfa 147

Power steering problem? #Newbie..

Hey guys, im new to the site and new to alfa, never owned an alfa before, but i do now so thought id sign up to the site, so hey every body lol.. quick question though,,

power steering,, steering becomes harder / heavier than normal when turning the wheel, while slowing down.. but gets lighter when accelerates.. i couldnt test drive the car properly when i bought it as my ban is'nt up for another 2 weeks, plus the cars off a good friend that i assumed wouldnt sell me a dodgy car.. he said his last alfa did the exact same thing, but surely its not right?? power steering pump im guessing?? any suggestions? anything to try? anything to check for? change fluid mayb? any advice at all? thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
First - welcome to Alfa ownership and AO. Difficult to say without driving the car, but it doesn't sound right unless the car has a very slow tickover speed at the time the steering gets heavier. The power steering pumps are pretty reliable, generally speaking, so I wouldn't jump to point the finger at that. It could be worth changing the fluid, but I'm not convinced......

So, not much help, so far...I assume you've ruled out the belt slipping when its under load? - which will be greatest at slower speeds with larger steering angles.

I'll await other thoughts.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
147's are known for power steering fluid leaks so check the fluid level before you go too much further.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 29-10-13 Thread Starter
County: Newport

Member car:

alfa 147

Hey thanks for all the replys, couldn't check levels last night was too dark, but I did just check fluid level and it's right on minimum.. Guessing that's prob the fault lol, will get my mate bring some down and then try it, will also check the belt in a min as well, good to hear the power steering pump is normally reliable though! Thanks for replys will update soon

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

#newbie , power , problem , steering