Horrible noise on start up - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-05-06 Thread Starter
Horrible noise on start up

I'm pretty sure from reading other posts that I already know the answer to this ... but here goes anyway

I have had a 147 2.0TS (64,000 miles) for several months now, and it has started to make a bloody awful noise (especially heard from outside) on start up. It's a sort of screeching/grinding sound but only lasts for a second or less. I first thought it might be the starter motor, but it's definitely from the top of the engine

As this noise only happens on cold start-up - and while I haven't particularly noticed it sounding like a diesel as others mention - I guess it's a knackered variator?

Particularly annoying as supposedly a new one was fitted about 1000 miles ago, along with a new cam belt when I got a crank end oil leak fixed before my 6 month Parts & Labour warranty ran out from the local garage I bought it off. How easy would it have been to **** up fitting it - that garage is usually quite good, but probably more used to Fords and Landrovers

And ... as that garage is not very local to me right now - anyone recommend the best place to get anything done as close as possible to Southampton?

Other than that I love everything about the car - just hope I haven't got a "Friday afternoon" engine ...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: Horrible noise on start up

S&H Motors iin Poole are excellent - but a bit of a drive for you. (35 miles ish)

Not sure about your issue though:-(

Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk

Sounds more like the secondary (alternator) drive belt - like pain sound can be referred - although it seems to come from the top of the engine it might well originate from elsewhere.

AO Silver Member

easy way to tell if its the belts - before a cold start up, liberally soak the belts in water, then do the start. No noise means its the belts and they need adjusting - probably the new ones have given a bit and were not tight enogh t0o start

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

horrible , noise , start