Car hit by driverless VW! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 20-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS

Not Happy Car hit by driverless VW!

It's true. I parked at work and about an hour later some of the engineers came in joking about a black Alfa Romeo in the staff car park that had been hit by another car. Just had that 'feeling', so went to check on my car and true enough, my car has been rammed on the passenger side door by a 06 VW Tourag which had rolled across the car park after it had been left with the handbrake off.

I've been left with a sharp crease in the bottom of the door where the paint has also just chipped, a couple of less 'sharp' dents on the lower half of the door, a 5p coin sized dent on the lower door sill and the swageline on the door has been just about dented.

To say I'm ****ed off would be an understatement. Fortunately the bloke who owns the car seems happy to accept responsiblity and so long as his insurance company agree then it should be a straight forward claim.

My quandry is whether I should insist on a complete new door or accept a doorskin (my father who has been in the motor industry for almost 40 years is of the opinion that doorskins are a cheap 'bodgit' fix and never fit right) and who I should get to do the work - the insurance approved place, a reputable bodyshop of my choice or an Alfa dealer (the car still has 6 months dealers warranty/6 months paintwork warranty and 6 years Alfa anti-perferation warranty left) and the painters they use are very good.

What do you think I should do? Skin or door? Alfa dealer or Bodyshop? Anyone had any similar kind of experience? what was the outcome?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Gotland

Member car:

156 SW jtd 20v

Re: Car hit by driverless VW!

the door skins on both r/h doors have been replaced on my 156 before i bought it. Looks the same as the L/H ones, except a small outgoing dent in rear door, just above the window. If it is done correctly and with a bit of patience it should look as a new door.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

If his insurance is paying get a whole new door. Thats what i would do anyway..
AO Member

excuse all lowercase, genuine reason for use.

i honestly believe you have little choice but to take it to your alfa dealer, for very sound reasons.

first off, you say you have "x" years of paint warranty remaining, but more significant, imho, is the anti penetration warranty.
alfa, no more or less, than any manufacturer are likely to try to avoid paying out in the future should you have to make a claim on an unrelated, but relatively close rust issue.

if you have bodywork repairs carried out by non alfa romeo approved repairers, i believe they may claim you voided your warranty. if nothing else, do nothing until you clarify this point.

additionally, body repairs form just as much a part of a service history as any other, imho.
think ahead to the day you want to trade up or sell on, better to say "full alfa romeo service history"!

the guy has admitted liability, why should you risk anything to minimise cost to his insurance company? if this had occured in a public place he could, and probably should, face prosecution, he was negligent abou parking. he needs teaching a lesson, but regardless, don't risk a financial loss over this.

give it very careful thought.
AO Member

Really sorry to hear that mate! Thats a real shame.

One thing is that at-least he didnt "foxtrott oscar" and leave you to claim on you insurance. I would send it to alfa to be repaired, but as ZOOL mentioned check if it voids any warrenties. Also as others mentioned if you can get a whole door do so, you might as well get as much repaired, at as much cost, seeing as its someones elses insurance.

Just a shame it has to been done at all

Last edited by pez1206; 21-05-06 at 12:16.
AO Member

bet your gutted eightball, but i'm with the guys on this one, best to get a whole new door through Alfa, than risk any possible warranty problems later on
AO Silver Member
County: -

If done correctly door reskins are ok...but they must be jig fitted and have the mastic and anticorrosion treatments replaced. However, if it were mine I'd also go for an entire door...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

I'd go for new doors fitted by alfa, who cares about the cost, so long as the insurance will pay out.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 25-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS

cheers for the input. Some of you may be interested in the following.

The third party's insurance agreed that I could go to a garage/bodyshop of my choice so I went back to the Alfa dealers where I bought the car.

The bodyshop chap came out with his clipboard had a look down the flank of the car and the first thing he said was "that'll be a new door". which pleased me no end.

Had a chat to him after he'd finished and he explained that many manufacturers don't actually make skins for doors these days only the complete assembly, and whilst Alfa may do one for the 147 it simply wouldn't be as good as a new door and seeing as it wasn't my fault or me paying...

Received the extimate in the post this morning. 542 for 16 hours labour & 310 for paint so, so far 852 without parts and VAT.

The only downside may be that the bodyshop chap said that Zurich (the insurance company) are the worst ones to deal with as they aren't very quick to authorise the work and always try to cut the labour cost, but he said he wouldn't back down on this one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

car , driverless , hit