Newbie needs help on 156 problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-05-06 Thread Starter
Hmmm Newbie needs help on 156 problem

Hi guys,
I have a really nice 156 2L selespeed that has one problem. When it hasnt been started in a while (6+ hours) it starts fine but when i attempt to pull away it kangaroos and wont get going for about a minute. I think it also backfired a couple of times this morning. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know what causes it and a possible solution. Please help as I love the car apart from this.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Tyne & Wear

Member car:

916 GTV.

Re: Newbie needs help on 156 problem

Hi Simon,

I also drive a 156 Selespeed, the only time I suffer any problem like you are explaining is if I drive off very slowly which causes the car to lurch slightly until it settles itself after about 10 yrds.
If I move off more quickly the car suffers none of this and picks up the drive and maintains it better without lurching. I've been told that this is normal and nothing to worry about. Have you noticed or tried this.

I've never suffered any backfiring and I'm sure you must be mistaking one problem for another here as you rarely get cars that are so out of tune these days to cause a backfire, you may get a cough or a splutter which could be any number of faults but these would be related to fueling and/or electrical, backfiring is more related to engine tuning.

Is your car due its next service ? if so drop it off last thing and get them to start it up and do the service the next day. You may need a Selespeed Re-callibration to cure the start-up problem and a diagnostic check would hopefully identify your backfire/splutter.

Hope you get it sorted and good luck.

1.3 GT Junior, 2000 GTV Bertone, 1.5 Sprint Veloce, 75 3L V6 Widebody, 156 2L TS, 145 1.8 TS, GTV 2L TS x 2, Lancia Fulvia S3 1.6 HF, Lancia Beta 2L Coupe, Lancia Beta 2L Spyder, Fiat Mirafiori 2000 Sport, Fiat Coupe 20vT. Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG. Yamaha YP 125 Scooter. Not all at once
AO Member

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Thumbs Up Re: Newbie needs help on 156 problem

I think there are two issues here.

I had a similar 'lurching' problem with my 147 Selespeed. It turned out to be nothing to do with being a Selespeed. The Throttle Control Mechanism was sticking. This was cleaned by a local garage and took 5 mins. The guy didnlt charge me as it was 'too small a job'. Basically some special carb cleaner was squirted into the mechanism. You need to be carefull not upset the adjustment. It cured the problem instantly.

The second member here has said that it goes away after about 10 seconds. I learnt from this site that the Sele mechanism needs to warm up to work properly. So, especially in the the winter, I let mine warm for a few mins before moving off. OK there are wear and tear issues so take your choice. I leave it warm slightly and I don't get the lurching or 'quick bite' that you get when it's cold.

So - get the Throttle COntrol Mechanism cleaned and be patient when you move off from cold. It really does have an effect.

BTW - all this adice I also got from this website.

Let us know how you get on.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , newbie , problem