To GT or not to GT? that is the question? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 20-10-13 Thread Starter
County: Norfolk

Member car:

GT & Landrover

Help To GT or not to GT? that is the question?

Hi there, I've finally after years of car changing due to never being quite satisfied or perhaps having a slight attention problem worked to that its an alfa that I've been lacking in my life. Given the current times i need to be economical ( something the non believers tell me isnt possible once alfa ownership is taken on) and of a certain age i decided i also need to be 'sensible' ( yes I still hear them....) This decided I've set out to try to find the best one to suit my needs and came up with a list or criteria which must be met....

A) must be economical (not listening!)
B) 4/5 seats ( for school drop offs)
C) look nice, 2 door ( I prefer the look and kids not always about)
D) have a bit of 'go' ( for afta school drop & lone drives)
E) have parking sensors (I'm female )
F) be easy to park ( see above ... And I'm gonna be working mobile)
G) bit of luxury... Leather heated seats
H) Be black (don't ask no refer c) above)
I) tinted windows ( c) again)
J) sat nav (refer E & F above )
K) bose or equivalent sound system
L) good maintenance and service history (so I some of the non -believers words did sink in )

Ok so..... I looked at the 147 but..... Other than A)B)F) it seemed difficult to meet all or much of the criteria and find the spec unless opting for the 'sportier' versions which shot A) straight out of the water :-/ anyway having dismissed the 156 and 159 (4 doors ) I stumbled on the GT well the GT blackline and GT jtdm All a million miles away but then found a GT jtdm a reasonable distance.... joy!!!! But......

Having decided resolutely that I must stick to my criteria or face eternally being in the twilight zone of ever looking to change my car (again) am in this dilemma....

it's been very well maintained, stacks of receipts for work, mileage average but.....

Its not black , doesn't have leather heated seats , and no tints .... And signs of use/ age related scratches etc but not abuse - all cosmetic/ comfort I guess but then also. no sat nav, or parking sensors....

So should I hold out until I find exactly what I want? Possibly having to scale half the uk or Scotland to find it? Or do I go for what seems a really nice car and risk possible 'Alfa envy' every time I see a black tinted one go past? It's tough enough every time I see a Brera

I've been told I could get parking assist sensors fitted which are probably the most important 'missing' item as visibility is quite poor out of rear window... And I guess maybe possible to get a different cd with Bluetooth ?? /could use separate sat nav unit??

Help! : I really do want this to be my last change of cars for quite some time!

Last edited by Alfa amante; 22-10-13 at 15:17.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
There are loads out there, don't buy one that you don't want. You might need to pay a bit over the odds, the way to do it is to phone a number of independents and get them looking for the right car. It will be a bit more expensive, but when you schlep across the country to pick it up, you can be reasonably sure it will be "as described".

A re mapped black line 1.9 diesel hits nearly all of those points.
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Hold out. Looking for a car with so many points to tick off will take time but you will be happy with the end result. As mentioned a black line or maybe even an end of the line Q2 which has all the bells and whistles possible may be an option. Also what is your budget?
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

heated seats sound nice but really only mean something for 1 minute on those winter days, so I'd suggest nice to have perhaps? tints, parking sensors and satnav can be added retrospectively - get the tom tom app for your iPhone!

it seems your criteria drive you to JTD and perhaps black. Key thing it make sure its well maintained with light easy gear change and clutch as these are common gripes if/when they become seized. Also make sure the steering is straight, and has no slack or leaks as you can end up shelling out up to a grand for a new rack if that goes wrong. While I am a believer, the GT has been the most expensive and troublesome car I've had for a while, but its fun when it works and I hope I've fixed everything on it now! (the reliable everyday car is a Skoda - bulletproof!)

Alfa Romeo GT 1.9JTD
AO Member
County: Shropshire
At my daughters school we have a choice of 2 entrances, the front gate or the side gate. Now dependant upon the street cred of my car - determines the entrance you are allowed to drop her off.

So your choice of car is very much like dropping my daughter off at school. You need street cred. Good looks, great curves, performance, etc...........

The answer is simple....... my advice, albeit biased is go and buy a GT Cloverleaf Q2 SE..........ticks all your boxes except "H", as they only come in white or red. There are not many about, but they are worth travelling for.

Driving: GT 1.9JTDm Cloverleaf 170 bhp Q2 SE Owned Alfas 156 Veloce 2.4JTD, 147 2.0L TS Lusso, 2.0L TS Spider, Fiat 1.9JTD Stilo Sporting, GT 1.9JTD Lusso, 159 1.9JTDM Ti, Fiat 1.9JTDm Bravo Sport
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Just do it only live once !
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 21-10-13 Thread Starter
County: Norfolk

Member car:

GT & Landrover

.... Thanks for your comments, they're really useful. I'm still thinking on it and really going to and fro. Thinking more for than against as I'm also only looking to spend around £4k ideally this one does tick a lot of boxes..... But..... Oh I don't know lol could be an interesting week!
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
I think the budget is going to be your problem. In black there are some nice 09/10 Cloverleafs out there but you are still probably looking at £9k. As one of the other posters mentioned you are probably looking at a Blackline for the kind of money you are talking, which is still a very nice car.

Tints can be added on afterwards and with the satnav I would recommend don't hold out for a built in factory one - they are not that good. I always get the powerlead fitted behind the dash so there is just about 6 inches of cable showing at the windscreen and use a Tom tom.
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Z4 3.0si

I've got a nice blackline for sale for 5k
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
there have also been posts on here (im sure some forum wizard will be able to point you in the right direction) of people fitting double din head units which have sat nat and added in a rear parking camera.

I have a JTDm and its a great car, but make sure its the right one!

AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

It is a must it has leather if not you will have loads problems selling it on later
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Panda 100hp

A GT will tick most of those boxes.

They are NOT the easiest to park though. Turning circle of a barge, combined with the awful visibility, haha.

Glad I've got parking sensors on mine lol.
AO Member
County: West Dunbartonshire

Member car:

Hold out mrs! One will turn up with the leather seats etc and it will be worth the wait. You will love the GT by the way, great all rounder and a real head turner.
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Tints are easily added so I wouldn't be overly worried about finding a car with them.

Why would you want a 10 year old sat nav? Get a nice double din touchscreen/bluetooth installed. It will be fully up to date and also add handsfree for your phone.

Best bet would probably be a blackline as they are black, heated seats, bose, and have parking sensors (I think) as standard. They've also got 18" wheels which look great
AO Member
County: Cork

Member car:

Octavia vRS

A) must be economical
- 1.9 Diesel, sorted
B) 4/5 seats
- GT ticks this one off, although rear seats are cramped for anyone other than kids.
C) look nice, 2 door
- GT definately ticks this, best looking car on the roads.
D) have a bit of 'go'
- Again, the 1.9 diesel has plenty of oomph, take one for a test drive to see.
E) have parking sensors
- Can be easily fitted if they don't come with the car.
F) be easy to park
- Visability on the GT is woefull to say the least, tiny windows but you get used to them.
G) bit of luxury... Leather heated seats
- Definately need these.
H) Be black
- Probably not the most common colour, at least I don't see many of them so you might have to look hard for one.
I) tinted windows
- Why would you tint the windows??? Isn't the idea of having a good looking car defeated by people not knowing who's driving it???
J) sat nav
- Get a smartphone or a seperate satnav, stick it to the window.
K) bose or equivalent sound system
- Blacklines came with bose as standard as far as I know, was also an option on other specs.
L) good maintenance and service history
- This will be as hit or miss as any other car.

Basically, just get a GT, you won't be dissapointed.
County: Cheshire

Member car:

As has been said just keep looking as the right one will be out there. I was on a real budget just 2k and found a black jtd with tan leather and sat nav option which now it has been serviced and had brakes and tyres is a reliable 50mpg commuter so don't discount the ones that need a little love. As for parking sensors the high gt window means you simply stop once the car bonnet behind disappears from view and you still have about 3 foot gap so hardly have to think about it.
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Hi and welcome!

I do have very similar requirements and budget my self as I'll possibly (hopefully) be needing a commuter car soon.
As other have said, the GT wont disappoint, I found the engine on the 1.9 JTD one of the best!
I would say to stick to your plan and get some test drives. E,I,J,K although important can be easily added at later date but, I would stick to the other points and not give in until you found the right car, otherwise you'll always look back hoped you went for a better spec to start with (had the same with my previous 159).
If you decide not to go for a GT send me the link of the one you've seen

2010 Giulietta 1.4 TB MA Ghiaccio White: Blistein B12 kit + Ragazzon concentric exhaust+ Cadamuro spoiler+ Custom made air cone filter + ProAlfa FMIC + ProAlfa Remap 190bhp / 260 ft/lb + ProAlfa short shifter+ Spacers all around

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

blackline , jtdm or blackline , question , question or conundrum