Any ideas on this noise? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-10-13 Thread Starter
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Alfa GT

Any ideas on this noise?

Hi all

Have a strange noise coming from underneath alfa gt, 08 diesel cloverleaf. It's basically like I have a squeaky bed under the car. I've searched for various noise problems on here a while back but still not sure. Going against the norm of it being worse when dry, this noise is allot worse when wet, even if just a damp morning with no rain it will really creak over any bumps or slight camber change in road, if wash the car or been heavily raining it's much worse and will creak just rolling of drive down the pavement.Hard to make out but would say its from the front end, middle to passenger side.
Going to change the oil soon so hopefully can take a good look around.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Zürich

I fear this is the classic case of worn bushes in the upper wishbones. Mine squeaks too (in all kinds of weather). People here claim the temporary cure is to lubricate them, while the permanent is to replace the bushes (and eventually the wishbones too). I can't say from own experience whether this fixes the issue, though, as I am new to the Alfa community. But if I were you, I would proceed first by replacing the bushes and see if the noise disappears. It seems to be an easy job, even for someone with two left hands like me.

Good luck!

Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Yep agree with above , upper wishbones are suspects ! ....not a mega expensive job
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Just had my Upper wishbones replaced for squeaking, 46k miles and the car is only 3 years old. Common problem, cheap to replace, Alfa quirk you just live with.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

ideas , noise