Motor Control Failure - JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Motor Control Failure - JTD

Hi there,

Just had this quickly flash up on the central info console under acceleration and then disappear (no warning light on dash). Was damp today, but everything is working ok (apart from my right hand climate control knob not working), engine running well. Is this possibly just a dodgy connector somewhere? I'll probably book it into the garage but is there a place to have a look myself first? Car has done 93,000 miles.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Re: Motor Control Failure - JTD

probably nothing to worry about if your car hasn't had any adverse affects, if you can get it too the dealer to read the fault codes to be on the safe side that would probably be best but I have had something similar on my GT and our Stilo JTD also threw and odd wobbly that turned out to be nothing.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 16-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers for that - just remembered stereo was on full as was listening to my mp3 player (line in is very quiet) and when my battery went west all sorts of warnings appeared - may have been the load on the electrical system - wipers and lights on as well. (sheepish look).
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Hi Mallo - mine did that exact same thing mate.
I managed to flatten my battery also through keeping the stereo on as well as the ignition (stereo powers off after 30 mins to stop the battery draining . . .whoops!).
When I got the battery charged I got all sorts of whistles and bells sounding.
Ever since the Motor Control Failure pops up randomly. It only ever does it however if the engine is under load. For example, I was being lazy one day and took a right into a junction in 3rd (not fast just normal). I didn't bother changing down and just let the engine pull. The "beep beep beep" happened just as it passed through its main power boost area (the part where the turbo REALLY whistles on the 2.4 JTD).
I backed off slightly and away it went.
It did it again yesterday and that was when in 5th on the A66. Pulled out to overtake, main boost, "beep beep beep" and then fine again??
It has only ever done it since my battery died.

Hmm. Had exactly the same thing on my 2.4. The moment I put my foot down I'd get the ominous beep beep beep - motor control failure warning. Afla convinced me that it was my turbo sticking, 500 later and with a new turbo I no longer get the message. Somehow I think I preferred the beeping.

I was subsequently reading the handbook where it declared that it was nothing to worry about which seems strange in itself.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

control , failure , jtd , motor