Buying a 147 Ti 1.6, help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Buying a 147 Ti 1.6, help!

Hi all,
Having sold my Mito in feb I have been hankering after another Alfa and have secured a deal to buy a 2007 147 TS 1.6 ti, with 44,000 miles for a very good price.

However I have not seen the car in the flesh and while it looks very clean on the pictures, and a description from the seller that it is totally mint, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for things to check to make sure it is a good one.

I know it has had the timing belt changed and I know that it needs to be regularly checked for oil. Other than that I don't have a clue so any tips or things to look for would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cardiff
As far as I can tell there's not that much to go badly wrong with these.
When was the cambelt changed since it's recommended every 3 years or 36000 miles.

Listen out for creaking or squeaking from the front suspension when you drive (often after it's warmed up a bit) which could indicate worn wishbones (bushes or ball joint).

Also, take a look underneath the car for corrosion. I had that on mine and didn't realise until I'd handed over the cash and got home.
It's generally accepted that the protection underneath the car isn't great out of the factory. But then again mine is a lot older than yours so corrosion not likely to be an issue.

Take a look for uneven wear on the rear tyres especially. Again, a common fault that could indicate worn rear suspension bushes or incorrect tracking (to be honest I'm not sure, not looked into the cause of mine but it's a common issue).

Also, check if the airbag light is staying on. Common issue and easily fixed.

That's what I would look out for having bought a 147 1.6 a few weeks ago.
Some of the more experienced Alfa Owners will I'm sure give you some further advice.

Plus these forums and its members are an absolute goldmine of information on how to keep your Alfa in good health.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Thanks a lot for the information. I will look for all of that.
I don't know when the belt was changed, only know that it has been.
I've also found out that it's a ti blackline, which has a black roof, and a couple of other changes to the spec which is nice.
I'll post some pictures when I get it home.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , buying