How to fit offside driveshaft on 156 2.4 JTD Mjet? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Warwickshire
Thumbs Up How to fit offside driveshaft on 156 2.4 JTD Mjet?

Hi guys,

A while back my car was shuddering a lot under acceleration and was getting worse and worse. I found out that the outer cv joint on the N/S was shot, and the inner was not in a great state. I subsequently bought a new driveshaft and fitted it myself. Everything was fine for a few months but then the problem came back and is worse than ever. I have checked the driveshaft I replaced and it is solid and looks/feels fine. Unfortunately the other side is appalling. I need my car everyday for work so can't have it off the road for long, and as long as it's not much more work than the N/S I will do it myself.

My main concern is removing the old bearing, and fitting the new one. How hard is this to do?
I can't find a how-to thread anywhere on here and there isn't anything I can find online. Can anyone give me some help with this please?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Dublin
are you joking? its the very same as left side undo the ribe bolts at the bearing side pop the hub down hanging only on the bottom wishbone and that it except you want to replace the half shaft with the bearing in wich case remove the main shaft first then 2 long bolts holding the bearing and shaft attached to the engine braket then a small hammer and pop it out from the gearbox with a tray to catch the oil under.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 2.4JTDm

I believe the 20v shafts are a PSA product. Do Alfa use the same special bolts to hold in the bearing? On Citroens you have so slacken the two special bolts leaving the nuts at the end of the thread. You then push on the nuts to move the oval bolt heads out of their recesses so they can be turned to release the bearing. Handy to know about if you're doing it for the first time; saves a little of the swearing . . .
AO Member
County: Devon
Does anyone know where the best place would be to get a pair of drive shafts (I'm probably best off replacing the lot)?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , driveshaft , fit , jtd , mjet , offside