Drivers seatbelt locking too easy - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

My first 156 did this, fixed it though by not wearing it. My second 156 never had the problem though.
Sponsored Links
County: Bedfordshire
Ah, Glad I bought a clip then!

Cheers for the responses.

I have found it varies in frequency depending where the seat is and where the height adjuster is. Much worse on inclines as well - I get trapped every morning reversing off my uphill drive! Also when pressing on it locks almost immediately - fine until you get to a blind junction. I had to take the belt off when joining the M1 last week, as the further I leaned back, the more it locked and left me zero movement I hope the clip helps!

'Alfie' (sorry) has only just done 60k, and Veloce's gave me a T plate 148k miler as a courtesy car and that was fine (in that respect, anyway) so I doubt it's a mileage/wear related thing.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Originally Posted by symon View Post
Well higher mileage cars have seat belts which retract more slowly due to wear.

I wouldn't mind betting that the mechanism that causes the belt to retract is also partly used to lock the belt.
Originally Posted by bri77 View Post
Ah, Glad I bought a clip then!

----- Veloce's gave me a T plate 148k miler as a courtesy car and that was fine (in that respect, anyway) so I doubt it's a mileage/wear related thing.
The slowness of the retraction on belts due to age is primarily due the retraction spring force getting weaker, (highly stressed material and inter-coil friction). No connection with the locking pawl or locking plate which is completely disengaged during retraction.

The retraction spring force on 2-door cars is higher (bigger spring on fronts due to the longer webbing length). So suffer less compared 4-door cars fronts and all rears.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

drivers , easy , locking , seatbelt