Instrument woes !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Instrument woes !!

This could be a long complicated post, but stick with it.
To make things easier I'll number things up.It's a 1.8 ts 156
1, original instruments with iffy multi function display.
2, set of orange on black dials
3, orange speedo and centre cluster
4, multi function display.
these are things I bought other than 1 which came in the car.
First I replaced speedo and tacho with dials from 2, found out centre cluster fuel read full, so replaced with original speedo after swapping faces over and centre dials back to normal.
Later replaced centre dials with 2 and MFD with 4. At this point fuel gauge stopped working and MFD telling me engine temp was at maximum and to stop driving,this was after it had been stood all night and not run,whilst temp gauge reached normal when driven!
So I then swapped speedo for 3 and centre dials stopped working, so put original back.
Thene swapped centre dials for 3 and MFD now NOT telling me it is at max temp, fuel gauge now reading something, BUT temp gauge has stopped working !!!
The MFD no matter what combination used still says I'm using 51.2 mpg avg and constant whilst doing zero miles per hour !
Anybody any ideas whats going on ????
Also, if neccessary ,can the MFD screen be swapped over as the original sometimes worked with missing pixels, and that might be the problem.

ps, the dials I bought were from a 1.8 as well.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 16-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Might have resolved this. I put the original tacho back in and MFD is now working correctly, showing mpg and the like. Will have to see later tonight when I go out if the temp gauge is working !
Cant understand why other clocks wouldn't work !!?? Just need to swap the face over to the orange/black one now.
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

you can use other clocks from different models as I am always modifying mine and I changed the old black and orange ones. I now have the newest Brera styles clocks and needles in my 156, you do get a problem mixing older 156 clocks with much newer ones because the computer chips in them control a million other things on the car and when I've changed speedos and rev counters I have also found that the time, temp and fuel clocks wont light up or won't work, but try a couple of different ones from a similar age and fuel type etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

instrument , woes