Do you drive your Alfa hard? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 TS

Re: Do you drive your Alfa hard?

With the correct conditions, both road and mechanical, if you know what I mean?...I have no problem taking her to the redline in 1st/2nd and occasionally 3rd....above that I find I tend to run out of road
I see no point in thrashing a car for the sake of it but on an empty, twisty bit of road it can be hard to resist sometimes.
I try to give it a good run once a week or so but only after checking oil levels, letting the engine warm up etc.
As said above, straight line speed is quite boring but taking bends smoothly and close to the limit is what driving AR's is all about, for me......

Pick your route carefully and there's plenty of safe, redlining fun to be had....

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Is the pope catholic?

I make sure I've got two bars of oil temp and full water temp on the GTA before giving it the beans, and keep a close eye on the oil, but give it the beans I do. My old 156 2.5 was a company car I had in my twenties and I ragged it senseless on every journey, the engine was better than ever after 90k miles and used no oil.

Manufacturers run the engine at the redline for thousands of miles in testing. The rev limiter is set to the revs the engine can handle for ages, not just the odd burst. As long as it is warmed up and serviced and you use the correct oil and check the levels, go for it
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Volvo 855 T5r

Oh yes indeedy!!, on a daily basis!!,
my head says that the reason i bought a diesel in the first place was to save money and improve my fuel consumption, but after a re-map to 185 bhp, that has all gone out of the window!!, cant help but drive it hard, as it totally loves it!! the result being, a decline in fuel consumption, but balls to it!!, drives like an alfa should!!.
Saying that, i make sure i drop my oil and filters every 4k, so maybe i drive it hard, but i never skrimp on maintenance

My ex loves, Re-mapped 1.9 jtd GT and 156 2.4 jtd, angel tuned
Current ride, awesome volvo 855 T5, many mods an 300 horse!!
AO Member
County: Noord Brabant

Member car:

147 GTA

Yes I do, but always sensibly. (or as sensible as possible )

I never go above 2500-3000 rpm in the first 15 minutes. Oil needs te get up to temperature before you let her go. I don't worry about taking her to the read line, but only when she's fully warmed up.

On the dutch roads I never exceed 30 km/h above the speed limit (150 km/h tops at the motorway). My drivers-licence is worth so much more and also my safety, that of my car and the other road users is more important. I get my speed kicks on a track, not on public roads. Like it should be.

On the german autobahn I regularly take her to 240 km/h and above, but only when the speed is unrestricted, the road is completely dry and when there's is little or no other (slow) traffic.

On track I don't look at the speedo that much. I think that the maximum speeds are around 180-190 km/h at Zolder, 200-210 at Spa and just under 200 at Zandvoort. Had no time to look at the speedo on the Ring at all. Man that's a track that needs all my attention for now. If I have the balls to look down I'll check it tomorrow!!!

Alfa's are made for sporty driving, but only when its safe for you, your car and innocent road users.

Robert Guezen
AO Member

Yeah mine gets a good clearout most days or should I say everyday. My comute to work everyday is motorway and usually sits around 90mph but depends which BMW or Honda needs shown up on the way. Lets face it you need to show them what a quick car is and oh how you suprise them.
AO Member

sorry, but that question really doesn't need to be asked does it? what real Alfa driver does do that?
AO Member
County: Attard

Member car:

147 1.6TS 120BHP

Yeah of course. And how amusing and enjoyable driving my alfa hard. Dam d speed cameras!
AO Gold Member

The nice man in the big white Beemer with the decorative (blue) flashing lights said that I drive mine hard.......:-(

Got to wait now to see if its 3 points too hard or worse.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , drive , hard