147 Rear wper/wash problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
147 Rear wper/wash problem

Hi there,

Just a note about a problem I had with my 147 rear wiper / washer. When I tried to clean my rear screen a few weeks ago, I thought that I had run out of water. On further inspection, I noted that the water jet assembly was turning with the wiper. I checked my girlfriends 147 rear water jet and it did not move when the wiper blade rotated so rather than head to the dealer, I removed the rear cover to see if I could find what was wrong.
With the assembly aparently seized to the wiper shaft, the plastic supply pipe had popped out of it's "home" in protest. I removed the water spray assembly from the wiper motor and found the wiper drive shaft has rusted. The rust build up resulted in the shaft interfering with the non rotating water jet assembly which is kept in place by a locating key way. As the interferance became worse the plastic keway slot became worn and gave up in protest.
The water jet assembly is a 2 piece plastic unit and the keyway slot is the just a smaller replaceable? internal sleeve.

To strip the unit down, remove the wiper blade form the drive shaft, undo the 3 retaining wiper motor hex heads. pull the unit out or the rubber seal in the rear window. Pop the water jet assembly retailing circlip out and, if it is seized, lightly force the plastic assembly off the shaft.
The shaft was stripped of all the rust build up and the plastic internal part with the slot for the keyway cleaned up. Even though the plastic retaining keyway was in poor shape after being forced to move with the shaft,there was still a small amount of keyway slot left and with the assembly cleaned up it was enough to keep the plastic retaining part in place when the shaft moved.
I was unable to confirm if the smaller plastic keyway was available as the dealer parts dept was closed so I lubricated the shaft with grease, assembled the unit again and used some extra strong 2 part Loctite between the wiper body and the plastic shaft as an additional retaining measure. Two weeks on and all is still well on the wiper washer front. If the plastic keyway shaft was in worse shape then i would have ordered a new one up at the dealer. I suspect however that it would not be available on it's own and that they would only sell the complete water jet assembly or worse still a complete wiper motor/washer assembly.

I hope that this is of some use to somebody! Contact me if you need more info.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , problem , rear , wper or wash