The dreaded big end noise! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 12-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Østfold

Member car:

156 - 98 MODEL

The dreaded big end noise!

I have trawled the forums and read just about every post on the TS big end bearings and it looks like the 2,0lt TS is well represented.

My 98 model 2.0lt has a knocking noise. Not typically obvious big end but I can't find any other reason for it. It does not knock at idle or just reving the engine. It does not sound going uphill in low gear. It comes when accelerating moderatley or when cruising and backing off then pushing on the gas pedal. A deep sounding hammering sound. Some days it's barely audible but others (like today) it is very obvious. It started about 2 weeks ago and I have driven very little since.

The last few mornings have been pretty cold and frosty over here and it makes a god awfull rattle for just about a second after starting the engine cold. It then has a loud ticking sound that almost stops as the engine gets warm.

I am booking it into the local mechanics ASAP and not driving it before they can check it out.

I have only had the car about a month now and apart from this it is in real good shape. Only done 100,000 klms and never been winter driven. It was a diplomat car before I bought it.

I am hoping to get away with just replacing the bearing shells, but knowing my luck.....

What are my chances?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
It sounds a bit like the variator normally big ends will get worse as the oil gets warmer and thinner.
These engines do have a tendency to throw bearings if they have run low on oil at some point.
Have you tried changing the oil to see if it makes any difference.
a lot of the symptoms do fit the bearings though.
If it's the variator it's on the end of the back camshaft nearest to the cambelt. These make noise when they first start and then get better as the engine warms up you should check this too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

big , dreaded , end , noise