Alfa 147 - New member - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 04-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 2.0

Alfa 147 - New member

Hi to all you Alfa nuts out there!
Having spent the last couple of hours reading through the forums and picking up tips I thought it was time to finally join a forum and give a little back.

I too am an Alfa nut (just purchased a 147 2.0 TS) having just sold my superb 146 Ti (wedge!) for a mere 1k. My first Alfa being a superb 156 1.8.

I've owned BMW 3 series in the past and my most recent car was a Chrysler Crossfire!!!!.....Don't was a company car which cost me 150 a month and no company car tax!!! may look a little like a dog having a poop but it was pretty quick in a straight line and I spent most my time telling people what it was!

I'm glad to say i'm back in some italian styling and I love my 147 even though it wasn't as quick as the 146 Ti. Having owned it for 4 weeks I was a little alarmed at the oil consumption. The first job on my agenda was cambelts and service (72k service). There was no recorded cambelt change prior to this so I was a little nervous driving around until this was done. I might point out i went to alfaworkshop in Cambridge and James is a superb, friendly chap. A big thumbs up!

Two days after the cambelts and oil service I set of on my skiing holiday (800 miles down into the French Alps). The car was a dream to drive and I did the typical man think of checking all the levels, tyre pressure prior to departure. The journey took 13 hours pretty much non stop other than toilet breaks, fuel refils and coffee/red bull injections!

I followed two of my friends who both had brand new flashy 55 plate turbo diesel cars (mine is an 02) so I was left spending more time at the pumps whilst they sipped the Red Bull!!!

It wasn't until I covered 650 miles I got a low pressure oil warning. I pulled into the services and sure enough the dip stick was almost dry. I was a little concerned as the garage had a problem with the sump plug and I feared oil loss even though there was visible trace. Needless to say on the way back I checked and topped the oil up every oppurtunity. In total i covered 2000 miles and I've put 3.5-4 litres of semi synthetic oil in. Now back at home driving around town the oil does not appear to be dropping at all even though I've covered 800 miles. It seems to me to be high revs (90-110mph) that cuase the excessive oil use. We pretty much drove all the way back through France at these speeds as we were very late leaving the resort.

Anyway this is my tale so far. I did have the last laugh in France becuase my Alfa drove superbly up the winding Alps whilst the other two guys had problems with there turbo's cutting out and silly warning messages ( probably due to alltitde 11000ft at the top!).

It was a pleasure completing this journey in an Alfa even if I did have to keep one eye on the dipstick.

I look forward to posting again soon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , member