Retro Fitting New Road Angel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Retro Fitting New Road Angel

Hello All,

I collected my new GT JTD two days and nothing has dropped off yet which is all good. Did find a srew in the footwell but nothing major. :-)

In my old 146ti I had plumbed in the Road Angel to a 12V feed which came live with the ignition.

Not so keen in rooting around with the GT electrics so wondered if anyone had done such a thing and had found an easily accessible 12V supply without removing too much body work!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Re: Retro Fitting New Road Angel

I had a look into this when I bought my RA Compact, but ended up routing the cable down to the cig lighter, however I have managed to do it is such a way you can't see the cable, but can't they produce a smaller adapter that plugs into the socket? It would make things a lot easier.
AO Platinum Member
County: -
Thumbs Up Re: Retro Fitting New Road Angel

I had a hard-wire put into the 156 when I picked it up from the dealer, for the Tom-Tom , but I also use the 12v socket for my Road Angel. Not sure how much work was involved, but the dash/mouldings were kept in place whilst the work was done.
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

Re: Retro Fitting New Road Angel

I have a new Road Angel fitted in my GT. I have the bracket mounted on the windscreen at the bottom right hand corner, as low as possible. I got a ciger adapter from Maplins (99p) and soldered a couple of tails to it to connect to power. There is a great earth point in the fuse box area above your right knee (if that makes sense) and I used the power from the back of the cigar lighter. Wasn't too fiddly, but involved removing the panel at the side of the gear housing (just pulls off) and the ashtray assembly. Probably took about half an hour to do.
I used the cigar adapter bit so that I didn't wreck the power lead, just in case I decided to sell it at a later date. There is a 12 to 5V transformer on a pcb inside the plug that you could connect to, but the apapter makes it an easy fit.
Much better that having the cable plugged into the cigar socket.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

angel , fitting , retro , road