Alfa 156 V6 2.5 Buying Help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 11-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Alfa 156 V6 2.5 Buying Help

Hello All,
I am going to view a Alfa 156 2.5 V6 tomorrow and looking for any worldy advise.

I'm pretty handy with a spanner and have owned my 147 for about two years now (Its on its second engine that I fitted around 6 months ago). So I am used to having my head under the bonnet alot when it comes to Alfa ownership.

Now I've been craving the V6 Busso for quite a long time. Well since being on this forum and looking through user videos and the sound and gonig to one or two meets around the midlands when I have the time.

Now the car in question is being sold from a member here who doesn't frequent that often is retired and seems genuine and has bought a Alfa 159 and wants his 156 to go to a good home. An Enthusiast.

Now the Car is a Red Alfa 156 2.5 V6 Veloce (2001) with near enough 100K on the clock.

I've not seen pictures but its not far from where I live (13miles) so don't really need to.

Its at Rock bottom price as it needs a little work doing to it. Which is not a problem for me so long as the rest of the car is generally tidy. Comes with 8 months tax and 5 months mot.

But the last time it had a cambelt was at 48K. So its definetly going to need one sooner rather than later and having read on the forum the water pump is a must.
Should be an issue I've done countless timing belts on twin sparks (done mine 5 times) and friends cars and a few fiats along the way. The V6 doesn't look to be any more difficult to be honest.

So that can be done simply. Needs a bit of suspension work (As do all Alfa's unless you get them poly bushed).

Comes with Black leather and I guess being a veloce it come with 16 inch teledials, side skirts and black dash right? Maybe a spoiler or not. But its not the deciding factor.

If its reasonable on fuel (25mpg around b roads) then I'll use it everyday and sell my 147. If its lower I'll keep it as a weekend toy.

So other than the usual points like suspension and serviceing is there anything else I should look out for on this model.
Floor pans can some times miss there undercoating etc so I'll check but am I missing anything else. Oh and we all know Alfa Red paint fades badly.

Thanks for your time and I'm aware these threads pop up every now and then.

Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , buying