Help.. My 147 is dead following a cambelt breaking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 29-09-13 Thread Starter
County: Essex
Help.. My 147 is dead following a cambelt breaking

The cambelt has broke on my 147, and i'm now thinking it's going to cost me a fortune to get repaired.

Is it worth getting it repaired and could anyone suggest a decent garage to take it to?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Sort of depends on what age and condition your car is in, and how long you were thinking of keeping it.

A replacement head, with gaskets and new belt and tensioners, will probably be about 300 - 350 plus labour. You can get a complete replacement engine for the same or less, again plus fitting. If rebuilding, it really is also worth spending another 50 or so to change the big-end bearings while you are at it.....

As it is you'd probably get just over scrap money for the car...say 200. So have a look around and see what you can get for 750 or so - it might be cheaper and easier to go down that route, but if otherwise your car is in good nick with a long MOT, it might be better to spend the money repairing it.

I have a 1.6 147 engine that I rebuilt, only for the car to be vandalised....but I'm a long way away from you....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Member
County: Western Isles

Member car:

Alfa Red GT Q2

I am in the process of clearing out my garage of twinny parts and could supply you with a timing belt set and either a rebuilt head with a new water pump (200 for the lot) or a second hand head (150). I would throw in a set of new head bolts and a set of big end bearings for 200 (I might even have a head gasket).

Plus postage of course

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , breaking , cambelt , dead