Rusting Rear Exhaust Box on 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-04-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Rusting Rear Exhaust Box on 147

We all know this is an ugly part of the 147. Does anybody know of any product that can be painted on an exhaust box to prevent it rusting? I know there's issues with heat etc - but does anybody know of such a product? I want to obviously slow the rusting down.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Rusting Rear Exhaust Box on 147

Use 'hammerite' you can get it from B&Q and places like that.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Re: Rusting Rear Exhaust Box on 147

i've done mine with Halfrauds engine paint, heat resistant. It needs a good old rub down first though, I used on of those wire brushes attached to am electric drill.
As any bodyshop or decorator will tell you, the secret is in the preparation...of course mine was scant and the job ain't as good as it could be. Inevitably if the back box is already 3 years old, there will be some dodgy metal left even when rubbed down. Best to do it from new.
Someone on this forum did theirs with Q rust, that strips the rust and leaves a bare metal, you could try that too.

As I said before, it's a pity Alfa spec such a poor bit of mild steel on such a nice looking car. Many manufacturers these days are making a design statement/feature of 'zorsts, see the new Honda Civic (which looks a bit tacky imo) but even a nice stainless steel one looks better than a rusty old thing like ours. Why couldn't the fit a nice looking one like on the Audi TT for example? It's all down to cost of course...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , box , exhaust , rear , rusting