BMC CDA cleaning options? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
BMC CDA cleaning options?

I've had some quotes for a small service which appears to be oil and filter, air filter and swift once over inspection.

Now that, I can do. Plus I'll do a brake strip and clean, a brake fluid and a clutch fluid change too, which local garage just visually check.

I have the oil, I have a Mahle oil filter, but I have a CDA.

I have a pipercross cleaning kit from many years ago in the garage. Will that clean up my CDA, or is there a legitimate reason why I should buy a BMC cleaning kit?

It's due an MoT mid November, so any failings will be brought up then.

[color=gray]Sent from Free App[/color]
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
I've no idea whether you can use the cleaning kit you have, but I imagine it's just a detergent anyway so can't see why it won't work. The CDA's aren't the most fun job to clean, firstly you have to get the filter out and the screws will no doubt have rusted and turn to mush as soon as you put a screwdriver near them. I had to use pliers or mole grips to get my screws out, get some stainless ones to go back in.

Cleaning is easy enough, but it's the re-oiling that I lost patience on, it's quite hard to evenly oil the filter, especially on the inside. I ended up over oiling it, but I left it overnight on newspaper for gravity to get rid of the excess oil. Put it back in, but not before you've taken the MAF out and plugged the hole. Go for a spin to get rid of any further excess oil. Not sure whether it's for real, but I'm sure the induction roar got louder when I cleaned mine.

CDA makes a fantastic noise ey?
They do sound pleasant.

Mine was last cleaned 15,000 miles ago about 3 and a half years. No garages near here will touch it.

Will check the pipercross kit for warnings tomorrow.

The only worry I had was the pipercross kit is designed for a foam filter. The CDA is paper.

[color=gray]Sent from Free App[/color]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bmc , cda , cleaning , options