156 Sportwagon 1.9 JTD buying guide? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-09-13 Thread Starter
County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156

156 Sportwagon 1.9 JTD buying guide?

Hi forum peeps,

Thought I'd stop by and ask some advice. I was thinking of looking at the following 156 to buy:

Alfa Romeo 156 1.9 JTD Turismo 5dr Fsh,Leather seats

It looks like a good example but I am not too knowledgeable with cars (especially Alfa's!)
I haven't test driven it yet (hopefully do so tomorrow)

Just wondered if there are any must-check things on these 156s? I am a novice when it comes to buying second hand cars so any general advice is appreciated too.

It seems like it has the full service history so I should expect a cam belt and water pump change around 70k?

Any help appreciated (sorry if I've broken any rules with this post!)

Many thanks, Alex
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

when you drive it make sure theres no vibration in the drivechain at any speed in any gear.

need to see that the cambelt and water pump has been changed, however at that millage they might need changing again

if you can get them to remove the plastic engine cover of the top of the engine and check the injectors are leaking black crap all over the head
AO Member
As Cream says, check the cambelts AND water pump have been changed. Checked for knocks, rattles and squeaks from front suspension - Top and bottom arm and antiroll bar bushes all wear and if its like a 2.4 Jtd its the front subframe down to change anti-roll bar mounting bushes, I'd factor in a couple of hundred as one or more of these are likely to need doing now or in the future!

Other than that just the obvious - everything works, tyres, check body work etc etc

Great cars otherwise - love mine and its eleven years old
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

Check underneath for rust as the facelifts suffer from poor factory undersealing. Also worth checking for wet carpets under the mats.

AO Gold Member
Way overpriced for the spec and year. Typical 'North London' rip-off.

It's the Turismo spec, so it has basic suspension set-up, and those nasty 15" alloys.

If there's no recent cambelt/waterpump change and clutch change, walk away. There's plenty more out there at a better spec and price. Be prepared to travel though - but it'll be worth it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , buying , guide , jtd , sportwagon