156 Audio Upgrade Options - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
156 Audio Upgrade Options

Hi all,

Well, after a week of driving my new 156 (well, new to me), I've been reminded of how much I dislike standard single-slot CD players these days - especially when I used to have a Sony MP3-CD player in my old 156.

So, I'd like to replace the stereo in the new 156 with one that's MP3-CD compatible and can take an AUX input without having to buy expensive boxes of tricks to plug in to the back. The problem is, I don't want to lose the steering wheel controls when I do so - hence my question: Do the steering wheel controls work directly with a replacement e.g. Blaupunkt head unit, or is an additional wiring harness/loom adaptor required?

Ideally I'd prefer to be able to just slide my old Sony head unit in place (I retreived it from my old 156 before I sold it), but if I do that I'll lose the steering wheel controls, plus the AUX-In adaptor is about 35-40.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 156 Audio Upgrade Options

I've got a 52 reg 156 with the standard stereo and there's a lead that you can get from http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/auxin.asp which you plug into the cd changer slot in the back of the radio. You need this wire and a small piece of wire to connect the data in data out sockets on the connector it comes with and you'll be able to plug anything in with a headphones socket (i've got an mp3, dvd player and ps2 on mine). The only trouble is that it disables your cd player when the data in data out are connected so i put a switch (located in the plastic trim in the footwell by my left knee so its hidden) in so i can break the circuit and use the cd player. If you need to know any more there's a thread on how to install it somewhere on here. The only trouble with it is that the volume isn't as loud as the radio.
AO Member

You could get a CD changer really cheaply, I have just stuck on on ebay

Item number: 9702961559

AO Member

I have just had my 156 stereo upgraded cos I wanted to plug in my mp3 player (up to 40 CD's worth of music - what CD changer can compete with that). I have just got a Sony unit (GT300 I think is the number) and it can take a changer if you have one but also has an aux socket on the front. My mp3 player works great with it, just need a double ended 3.5mm jack lead. Don't know about the steering wheel controls tho...
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

Are you going to sell your old unit. I quite like the later single slot unit! I need to replace the std Sony unit on my 51 reg

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , audio , options , upgrade