Looking for a second hand key for a 2003 147 or a good way to duplicate keys (Sydney) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-09-13 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales
Looking for a second hand key for a 2003 147 or a good way to duplicate keys (Sydney)

Hi everyone! Hope you are doing really well.

I'm on my second Alfa 147 and whilst I'm enjoying most aspects of it, I find the keys terrible! They always fall apart and the bit which holds the ring falls out, meaning you'll lose your keys! I think it's a conspiracy to get people to order more keys from Alfa Romeo! Anyway ...

I'm in Sydney, NSW, Australia. I have one key and I'd like to get two more keys cut. I've got the pin code from the dealer still and I've taken to quite a few auto locksmiths who can't do it. I found one who has quoted me $500 for two keys (without remote access - they'd be non Alfa keys). The Alfa dealers here are quoting upwards of $800 for the two keys. I know that everything in Australia generally costs thrice of what things cost elsewhere in the world, but that's a bit ridiculous.

Does anyone know where one may be able to buy preprogrammed Alfa Romeo keys online or even second hand ones which I could give to an auto locksmith. Or if anyone has any idea of any other way which I could obtain some keys (they don't have to be genuine Alfa ones, in fact, I'd prefer if they weren't, seeing as the Alfa ones are flimsy), please let me know!

Thanks so much in advance for any advice and help,

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
The only way to get a fully working (remote unlocking + start the car) key is to go to an Alfa Dealer.
Spare cases etc are available so you can refurbish your existing keys.
Key blades can be cut by most highstreet locksmiths, blank blades are available on Ebay. This won't let you start the car though (unless you use the emergency code each time) and the alarm will go off when you open the door (if it was previously locked by the remote fob). Some dealers claim to be able to get around the alarm issue though.
Second hand keys are available on Ebay but ther are only good for spares - don't believe any stories you hear about reprogramming them - its not possible.
The cheapest and most reliable way forward would be to buy a second hand locket, keys and ECU's which sell for around 100 in the UK.
AO Silver Member
County: -
You can get a key that will unlock and start the car from a good locksmith, but no remote locking and no alarm activation. I paid NZ$195 which is a lot better than the NZ$700 for a fully functioning key from Alfa. Not sure why you want 2 - you should be able to get one for less that AU$200, so long as you're not concerned about the remote/alarm function.

For the key ring, you can drill a small hole at the same end of the key and put a normal keyring through it. Have a look on here for details on where to drill so you don't do any harm.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 2003 , duplicate , good , hand , key , keys , sydney