Alfa 156 2.5 V6 throttle/rev problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 22-03-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

Alfa 156 2.5 V6 throttle/rev problem

My 156 2.5 V6 has developed a strange problem. I noticed it first when after it had been standing in cold conditions (but nothing serious) for a couple of days. There seems to be a problem with the throttle. If it is fully depressed the revs will not go over 4000, however, if you let off a little (so it is only 2/3s depressed), it will go beyond this and happily rise to around 6000-7000.

The garage had a quick look at it and gave everything a good clean, but without testing the electrics fully (for which they don’t have the proper kit) couldn’t find the problem. It has just been through a full service, and after hitting the wallet hard it would be nice if I could find the problem without sending it to the dealer.

I have stuck in a new MAF, reset the ECU and then separately reset the throttle. This has not made any difference; does anyone have any ideas what a likely list of problems could be?
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6 Lusso

Re: Alfa 156 2.5 V6 throttle/rev problem

Hi...I had EXACTLY the same thing three years ago. Kinghams of Croydon changed the MAF meter and was a little better but still a problem. They then cleaned out the butterfly valve that regulates the air into the engine and it was OK...seems like it just gets stick. It was fun driving with a binary (ON/OFF) throttle on the V6 in the wet!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , problem , throttle or rev