Smells & Extremes... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 22-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Smells & Extremes...

Sine the hot weather we've had in the U.K. over the summer, I have had stinky Air Con, the kind of smell of old wet socks, Not nice!

So I used a can of A/C sanitiser that I got from the local motor factors, I thought it was worth a try. Did this and it still had no effect, seemed as though it just added to the musty smell.

So I thought I'd try AutoGlym's Air Con disinfectant/ Sanitiser. At £10 a can I thought it should have some effect. It was okay for 2 days, then the smell just overpowered the treatment.

Now I had to dig a little deeper.

It's always daunting to me, taking apart a dashboard, the amount of screws and fixings, plastic covers and clips, I wasn't looking forward to it, but it had to be done, the smell was awful!

But I have finally done it, with only 1 screw left over... lol, not good, but I managed to clear the A/C drain. I used a can of Cif bathroom foam, sprayed it onto the condenser and worked it in with a brush, then rinse with some water, then repeated 3-4 times.

Apart from doing this, I managed to fix the sticky hot/cold flaps and the directional flaps, which the rubber lips were dry and catching, I also re-greased the stepper motor arms for the flaps, also cleaned the blower motor fins which was dusty and I could smell the musty smell from it. Which now works a treat!

after all this, everything still works, No airbag lights, self cancelling signals work, etc

Driven home and so far so good, smells like a nice clean bathroom lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130922_143255_HDR.jpg (132.3 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Principe
That's some stripdown

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

extremes , smells