Any advice welcomed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 21-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Any advice welcomed

I am thinking about replacing my stilo with a 147. I have had the stilo for two years and it has been nothing but trouble, constantly in the workshop. The latest problem has been with the accelerator pedal, coming up as an engine fault and losing power. The dealer has had the car for 3 weeks and still cant fix it.

I would appreciate any honest opinions on the 147 specifically faults etc. I know some 2 liters have had probs with cam belt failure at relatively low mileage.Basically I don't want another car that is going to spend most of its life at the dealer getting faults sorted.

I am interested in the new spec 2 liter ti

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Re: Any advice welcomed

only issue i have had with my 147 2.0TS selespeed is with the suspension wishbones but aparently this is quite common across the entire alfa range. im sure someone else will be able to tell you more.

as for general opinion of the 147, great little car and one hell of an engine under it!
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

I exchanged my 3 year old Stilo for a pre-owned (pre-loved?) 147 last August. I had suffered a few problems with the Stilo (losing power mainly) and have had nothing like that with the Alfa, although it felt very similar from the first drive. I believe that the electrics are shared with the Stilo. I know that I have limited experience with Alfas as this is only my first, but I have not regretted buying the 147. It feels to be well put together and has a better feel to the plastics and fittings.

AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot

I went from a 3dr 1.8 Stilo Dynamic to a 156. I steered away from the 147 because it is very similar to the Stilo in terms of electrics. I had a number of 147's as loan cars & they steered & handled much better than the Stilo but went for a late model 156 instead. To me, the better car in all departments except for hatchback practicality. It's down to personal preference though & many people love their 147's & wouldn't entertain a old 156!

For the record, I felf that the interior of the Stilo to be excellent in terms of practicality & quality. Certainly, miles ahead of the 147/156/GT Alfa's, although the Alfa's win hands down on style & the seats are more comfortable.

One thing to bear in mind, the dealer's are just as ****€ though :-(

Buy one though & you'll fall in love!!

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
AO Member

The throttle pot problem is a known issue with drive by wire Alfa's too. There is a simple permanent fix that the dealer should know. They remove the plug that goes into the ECU and solder the wires directly.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 23-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the response

I have pre ordered a 2lt 147 in kyalami black. A new shipment is arriving in about 3 weeks so if all goes well should have the car by end of april. Really looking forward to finally starting my love affair with AR.
AO Member

Congrats, it will be a long 3weeks!!!
AO Silver Member
County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

I changed from a 3dr Stilo dynamic 1.6my 2.0 selespeed 147 and have not looked back since.

Performance, unbelievably better, even before my remap, low down punch to top end the alfa trounces the Stilo, its feels revier, lighter and more responsive, though the Stilo 1.6 was known to be a slouch. The 2.0 Alfa you will enjoy. Get it remapped, it will move like a train! Also, if you can, a BMC induction kit. Extra peformance for little money, and a nice sound.

Handling, the 147 feels like it is glued to the road, and lowered it feels even better. The Stilo although solid, felt as though the rear was falling out of the corner when pushed.

Style, well the 3dr Stilo was not bad looking at all, in fact, I really liked it. However the 147 is simply gorgeous, especially lowered and with the supersport alloys I have.

Reliability - well, they are both hit and miss, but the Alfa in my experience has faired much better, everything went wrong with my Stilo.

As for the interior, the Stilo was better than most Fiats before it but still pretty rubbish, shiney plastics on the console and gaps in the fittings. The Alfa is a sexy well put together interior and uniquely styled and is timeless. The stilo is a inferior german replica.

Dont get me wrong I enjoyed the Stilo when it worked, but it really does compare to an Alfa 147 in any department. The price premium is there and its there for a reason, you get what you pay for.

For comparison, here are my cars, the old Stilo and my current Alfa.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy it, you will not look back. The 147 is a peach!

Alfa Romeo Guilietta QV, white, fast, and lots of fun...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , welcomed