147 1.9jtd 16v - Motor Control System Failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-09-13 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTD 16V

147 1.9jtd 16v - Motor Control System Failure

Bit of a nasty one this.

Car cut out while on my way home. Engine light came on with Motor Control System Failure. Restarted straight away but would barely idle. After a few frustrated attempts of turning it off and on again, I kept my foot flat on the accelerator and the revs very slowly built up accompanied by lots of blue smoke from the exhaust. Once it hit 2500 rpm the engine burst back into life and revd and idled freely again and I was able to drive home. The blue smoke also cleared eventually.

Next day, same thing happened again. Both times it has been within 5 mins of setting off. This time I called the AA out. Couldn't fix it but read my error code which said EGR error. He toed me to local garage who cleaned out the EGR and also MAF as they were dirty and MAF was oiled up. Drove home, light stayed off and thought all was well.

Today, 5 mins after starting the engine, exact same thing again.

I think oil is leaking into somewhere because of the blue smoke but the weird thing is the way the problem goes away and then there's no smoke at all, until it reoccurs. I've looked over all the pipes and connections and can't see anything obvious.

Can anyone put forward any suggestion as to what might be going on?

I don't really want to have to resort to booking it into an Alfa garage, who want to charge me 50 just to read the error code but don't really know what else to do.

Any advice appreciated
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Try removing and cleaning MAP sensor , exactly the same thing happened to me ! Easy job , should be a guide in here somewhere ....just google clean map sensor Alfa 147/GT ....Good luck
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I would be looking more closely at MAF and EGR again (clean MAP too -5 min job)

You can unplug the MAF (temporarily) to see if it runs a bit better, before buying a new one. Cleaning them can be a waste of time. Stick with original bosch only. No ebay stuff allowed!

EGR can be tested by blanking it off with a plate (ebay 2) -if thats the culprit, either keep it blanked or buy a new one. Cleaning them can also be a waste of time!!

I would start with each of these before you do anything else. Many related threads on each subject so search and read.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 28-09-13 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

ALFA 147 JTD 16V

Thanks guys.

Just an update in case any one else is reading this thread because they are suffering the same symptoms.

It was the EGR. I decided not to go down the blanking off route so splashed out for a new one. Done about 100 miles since fitting it and so far and everything seems to be fine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16v , 19jtd , control , failure , motor , system