156 Immobiliser issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 16-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
156 Immobiliser issues

Hello all,

Has anyone experienced immobiliser problems? Every since i've replaced the engine (oil shortage killed the old one) I am having starting problems, which happen almost every day. I try to start the car, but the CODE is shown on the dashboard. The car starts after 5-10 tries. Other times, it starts without any problems.

I've talked with my mechanic, he told me to disconnect the battery for 10 or so minutes. I've done it a few times, but the problem is still there.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem? The diagnostics on examiner smart doesn't show any errors or fault codes at all.

I have 156 W reg 2.0L Selespeed.

Many thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 24V

Re: 156 Immobiliser issues

Had the same thing with mine. Could be the "aerial" that is mounted around the ignition barrel. This reads the code from the key when inserted. Sometimes it isnt quite close enough to the key to get a strong reading. Took the cowel off of the ignition barrel and checked it over for damage, put it back together and problem sorted. Also is a fairly common fault with the lead that connects this "reader" to the ecu. Get to the ecu and wiggle the connections as well as this may help. Mine got sorted without changing anthing, just did the above. I have also seen a thead where someone mentions mounting the reader in blu tack to bring it closer to the key when inserted in the ignition. May be worth a try.?
AO Member
County: Tasmania
Re: 156 Immobiliser issues

I have the same issue with our 2.0TS 147. We have 2 keys - mine works fine, but my wife's key usually results in an error message "imobiliser failure" for a few tries, then it starts.

The problem only started after I changed the battery in my wife's key. I've since checked the battery, and it's OK. Because my key works OK I guess it rules-out any issue with the car's ignition system. Any ideas?

Last edited by splashalot2000; 21-03-06 at 08:44.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , immobiliser , issues