147 2.0L intermittent power steering failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 16-03-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 2.0 lusso

Warning 147 2.0L intermittent power steering failure

I have an intermittent problem with the power steering on my 2.0L 147 - after motorway cruising (60-70mph or so!), then decelerating (with braking) I've had a couple of occasions when the power steering felt like it had stopped working altogether ! and I really had to fight to steer the car. Only lasted a second or two and then 'normal service' resumed. I live in a rural area and enjoy the winding, twisting lanes around here (perfect Alfa country!) with no steering problems - it only seems to happen after 'sustained' straight line speed, followed by braking.
The fluid level is good and clean, and I can't see any leaks/corrosion on the pipes.
Is there any advice, pointers you could give me ?
Also, does anyone know of a good independent Alfa garage in 30-40 mile radious of Colne, Lancashire ?
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Re: 147 2.0L intermittent power steering failure

Could it be the VDC kicking in? I once experienced this after driving along the M4 and then hit the South Wales country lanes. On one corner the steering felt as if someone had grabbed the wheel and I also felt a slight braking. The VDC light was flashing. When it happens first to you it's quite alarming but it's there to help you get a safe dynamic journey through the corner.Maybe your VDC is a bit sensitive? Not sure if this can be the case. Do a search on VDC on this site - there's bound to be a thread on the matter.

Good Luck and safe VDC driving!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 20l , failure , intermittent , power , steering