Apologies for not getting back sooner, only been busy, etc.., and thank you all for the posts - much appreciated.
So, the saga continues and the problems are getting worse I'm sorry to say. After my initial post I took it to Lambarda Dealer (Nottinghill, London) where they analysed the computer and came back saying there was nothing technically wrong, pressure was fine, actuators all fine, but may be a 'contact' problem or something like that with the electrics. So, they cleaned this up, reset the unit and changed the flash rom to the latest version, and all for about £80.
The drive home was a joy, no problems and the paddle change seemed smoother - probably 'wishful thinking' on my part, and I thought all was well in the world again.
However, since then I have had a lot of problems with the Selespeed just not selecting gears and then shutting down on me on a number of occasions. In fact this morning started like this:
1. Try to start car at 6:45am but gear selection states it's in 4th (this hasn't happened before!).
2. 30mins later of pushing the car back and forth 'N' finally becomes available although currently flashing. Engine finally starts at 7:20am I proceed to work.
3. Five mins later it breaks down and wont start approaching Earls Court. Starts and then fails 100metres later.
4. Resolved but fails again at the junction of Northend Rd & Talgarth (Heading West), but starts relatively easily.
5. For the next 20 mins the gearbox goes from working fine to not being able to select 1st, 3rd or 5th, and I drive slowly down the M4 in 4th.
6. Fails again at Heathrow Jnc 4 spur road, but starts easily.
7. No 3rd, or 5th and fails again just near my work.
8. Starts and is now sitting in Car Park where I don't dare move it until next Wednesday when I am having Epsom Alfa take a look at it.
So all in all I ain't very happy and also pretty scared about what this is going to cost to fix, and whether or not it can be fixed, ever!
I'm thinking if it's worth taking out an extended warranty - anyone have any experience of this and whether it's worth it or not?
Will let ya'll know how it pans out.