Alfa 156 - driveshaft problem after track day... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 18-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Alfa 156 - driveshaft problem after track day...

I have been going to track days with my 156 with very few problems....but in this last one something very strange happened - an increasing low-frequency and intense vibration from the right front wheel - is became gradually worse and then I decided to call it a day and investigate the problem

Alfa 156 @ Interlagos - TD FASP 15-09-2013 - YouTube

Here you can see the vibration in the corner vibration on straights or when braking...

An initial inspection pointed to driveshaft problems - someone said tripod joint, also...

Oh, I do use slicks at the track...(225/45 R17)

Some questions

1) Why I cannot find tripod joints for the 2.0 TS (only for the diesels)- does it use another system?

2) Will another driveshaft fit the 2.0 TS 156 - I reckon that both the Diesels and the V6s use the 6-speed box.....and curiously there are plenty pf complete new driveshafts for these cars.... I was thinking of fitting a stronger driveshaft to my car, due to increased stresses at the track, slick tires..

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Hi think the v6 and the diesel are both different the diesel has a shaft specific to the diesel.
I think the shafts on the v6 is a different fitment to the 2.0 . I'm not sure but think the bolt diameter is bigger.
AO Gold Member
The tripod system is only used on the later diesels that use a Peugeot-based gearbox -and it has a pretty high failure rate under high loads. All the TS units use a standard constant-velocity joint. Running on slicks will obviously put extra loads on the drive train, and something has to give at some point....if its the driveshaft that's a pretty cheap "sacrificial" part. Just replace with a good quality standard part.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 20-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
The problem is finding a good quality part - OK, it is easy to fund the wheel side homokinetic joint, but the gearbox side CV joint is quite hard to find... Only found the odd 10 ones on ebay, that do not look that has any quality at all...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , day , driveshaft , problem , track