Hello - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-09-13 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Boxing Hello

Hi guys, I bought my GF a ***** 147 02 1.6 lusso...
Shes had it 4 months and have encountered numerous issues... Hence I have signed up for some help/Advice... Worked on a few cars before... FTO's BMW's, Ford but never an *****...

They do look nice but I think at the moment that is where the love affair for the metallic Blue hatchback starts to end!! The girlfreind loves her car but problem after problem things still go wrong....

Now its the electrics.... So any help that people could offer while we get these teething problems out the way would help!!

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Alfa. The swear filter gets twitchy...

Welcome aboard. :wave:
I have an 03 1.6 1.6 lusso and theyre realistically no different to bmw's, mitsi's or f**ds. They have a few issues, but then its no longer than the list of issues on my old E46 325..

Whats up with the electrics boss? whats doing/not doing what? Most of the time, someone here has had the fault before and knows how to nail it.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
And a lot will depend how the previous owner(s) treated it ...

An Alfa is like a GF ... you have to treat them to lots of TLC ... and prepared to spend a bit on money on them to keep them happy!
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Yeah... it's like dating Jordan.... nice ride but it will cost ya
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 18-09-13 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Thanks for the replies... Just so your all aware i'm no wizard with cars... but we've all got to start somewhere... Right??

The problem I encountered is the dreaded ''Motor Control System Failure''....

The engine service light came on about a week ago, its due for a service in the next month or so, and I knew it could be anything... No problems car driving fine.

GF driving the other day and the MCSF came on but no symptoms followed...

Until yesterday, at the moment Chesterfield is roadwork city and of course low speeds in traffic. 0 mph to 35 mph on the dual carriageways, I mention this because this is where the problem has started...
Symptoms are between these speeds through lower gears 1st,2nd,3rd the car loses power like it stalls but engine still ticking over... To get the car moving again she has had to turn off ignition then bring it back to life, it starts first time each time she does it bar one occasion, took two-three times before she could continue.

Happened about 6 times now in short journeys, the car by this point though has warmed up and sits at normal temperature.

So of course got in this evening went to look at the car... My knowledge of this could be

1. MAF sensor, I unplugged started car, it choked like struggling for air... Turn car off and re-plug MAF back in checking terminals and deteriation on cables etc. To my knowledge working fine.

2. Crankshaft sensor..??? Could well be this.

3. Battery - New Bosch battery fitted last 4 weeks... That's another story!
4. Water pump and timing belt all changed within the last three months... Another story...

However I took the car for a spin to try out myself, let it get to temperature and see what happens... Drove normally then revved up more so to see if it would die a death while im driving,
Confusing bit is car was fine in traffic and with a little bit of a thrash as well..?????

The car is not choking, no dropping of rev's no running out of sync... Im at a loss...

So I know ALFA'S are re-known along with all Italian auto's that electric can be a pain including sensors.

I have Multiecuscan and need adaptor for laptop to car first.... I begrudge going garage getting charged 40 odd quid a time, I'll lave to the weekend before I do mind... They have however already had a pocket full of cash from me with my ol' steady Bmw over the years. (Now deceased).

So wondering weather anyone could shed some more light on it before I part with my hard earned cash?

Cheers again chaps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT