Petrol in my GT diesel! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 10-03-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Sportwagon

Warning Petrol in my GT diesel!

Stupid stupid stupid me

Last night after a long long week I stopped into Tesco to fill up. Having always driven petrol cars I reached for the green pump handle and put in 15 litres of petrol before I realised what I was doing.

I filled the rest with diesel and all seems to be ok so far. I 've done about 150 km so far in this tank and I'll just keep topping up to dilute the mix

Has any one else ever done this? Will I cause any harm to engine etc?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: -
Re: Petrol in my GT diesel!

Unfortunately you have joined about the club of users who have misfueled their car. In the UK its membership is increasing by about 100,000 annually

To be honest, the correct thing to have done would have been to not drive the car and have the fuel tank drained.

NB Petrol lowers the flash point of Diesel and reduces the lubricity of Diesel.

Comments from the internet
"It used to be common enough to put a little petrol into diesel to help the engine start in cold weather Ė but with modern diesels that use extremely high injection pressures the viscosity of the fuel is critical. Any petrol present can cause scarring of the pump elements, and the seals can be damaged by compounds found in petrol. The combustion efficiency of an engine designed for petrol will be very poor if itís fed diesel fuel, and the resulting unburned fuel passing through to the exhaust can cause the catalyst to overheat. What should I do with a misfuelled car? If you find that you have put the wrong fuel into a car, donít start the engine. If it has been run, stop as soon as reasonably possible."

AO Member

Member car:

Altea XL

I did the same thing about 8 weeks ago, luckily I realised my error and did not move her - called the AA who towed me to a local garage to drain the tank (cost about £120) and all has been okay since. I do not want to alarm you but when I read up on 'misfuelling' it seemed that this can cause serious problems and you could be doing major damage. I am sure there are others more qualified to advise who will add their thoughts later.....

Here are one of the reports:

I have since invested in a dieselguard unit

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday , and all is well!
AO Platinum Member

yes driving off was not a good move!
Even turning the ignition on to release the steering lock can cause problems because it will start to pressurise the system.

For future reference the best thing to do (if you need to move the car away from the pump) is to remove the fuel pump relay or fuse, anything to stop the pump starting, then just push the car clear while you wait for the AA/RAC to arrive.

The cost of draining is quite high because they need to pay to dispose of the petrol/Diesel mix.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

drain the tank... I still cannot believe I did it... I had 3 diesel cars in a row and don'r even think of petrol... but... the garage told me I had 'contaminated fuel' (I thought the injectors packed up...). My car started making a massive knocking sound, lots of smoke and very soon after, it stopped... 400 pounds later I was not that happy...
AO Platinum Member

I know of a Mercedes salesman that did it to a brand new car when delivering it to the customer!!
In that case they had to fit a new engine because there would be no way to cover the old one under warranty because of the damage already done.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0 TS

I'm glad to say that I've never made this mistake, but I do find myself double checking which nozzle I've picked up before I squeeze the trigger.

It's probably all down to that time I was at a Land Rover dealership and there was a nearly new diesel L322 on the ramps awating a £2500 engine refit thanks to the owner filling it up with petrol.

That one's etched in my mind as a permanent warning. It's such an easy thing to do though.

AO Silver Member

Sorry to hear about this increasingly-common mistake mygt. I put some petrol in a diesel about 6 months ago. My excuse - I was driving different hire cars every week, sometimes petrol, sometimes diesel. I was tired, I was stupid, I was running on autopilot. Annoyingly, it was probably the noisiest diesel I've ever driven, yet I was still able to put £5 worth of petrol in before realising the error of my ways.

As it was a hire car I took the risk of filling up with diesel (another £35, so the tank was about 90% diesel, 10% petrol) and driving off. After paying, of course. If it had been my own car (and especially a GT!)I'd never have taken the risk. I notified the hire car company as my wife insisted I did, and they say it shouldn't matter and that it actually happens an awful lot.

I read up about it on the internet afterwards, and it certainly does seem that you can do serious damage to a diesel engine by putting petrol in. Anyway, I hope you don't have any long-term problems.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTD SV

Originally Posted by mygt
.....Has any one else ever done this? Will I cause any harm to engine etc?
Yes i have done this with a previous car

Apparently the petrol ruins the injectors and need replacing so can be very expensive. Luckily I was very close to the dealers when it happened and had only driven a few metres when I realised. With my event I was lucky, only flushing the fuel lines and the filters needed replacing and I ended up with a bill for £180 + the £50 I spent on the petrol in the first place. Does focus the mind though!!!

They marked the car's warranty record and any problem with this part of the engine in future was invalidated.

The garage told me that they get about 3-4 cars a week with this sort of thing. nice little earner why don't they make diesel filler nozzles a different shape so that the petrol ones will not fit? (...probably answered my own question here in the previous sentence)
AO Silver Member

-bad luck - i did it the first time i fuelled up couldnt believe it as had diesels before

didnt move it though, and had tank etc fully drained

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

diesel , petrol