Aircon/Climate control problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Help Aircon/Climate control problem

I have just had my clutch changed in my 147 and after picking it up I checked all the toys on the car to make sure everything worked (it did before it went in).
On collection of the car, I found that the Aircon light was not on, so I tried to switch it on. Nothing. I switch the engine off and then back on again and then the light comes on. So I pressed it again to turn it off and out it went. I tried again with turning it back on and nothing. I messed around with all of the controls and it still made no difference. The temperature was above 4.0 degrees so the compressor should work.
One of the chaps from the garage came out and had a look and found exactly what I had. Another colleague of his came along and looked at it, this time with different results.
He started the engine up and kept on pressing/depressing the aircon button and the light kept coming on and off, as it should. You could even hear the click from the compressor kicking in, so the system appears to be fine. So off I went on my way home thinking it was all O.K and maybe it was just a computer glitch [I had not switched the engine off since the second chap looked over it]. However, I tried pressing the button on the way home and off it went, but would it come back on? like heck it would!
As I got stuck in traffic I turned the engine off and back on again and same results = aircon comes on on startup as it should, you press it the button to turn it off and it does so and then you press it on again to turn it back on and it doesn't.
I am going to contact the garage again tomorrow, but do you have any thoughts on the matter?

I have done a search on AO, but the link below was the only thing I could find that was close enough. (Climate control problem)

Oh! I have removed a battery terminal for 45 minutes to see if a 'soft reset' of the computer makes any difference and it doesn't.

Looks as though Examiner may be the only way of picking the fault up - shame I can't get it working!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
Re: Aircon/Climate control problem

Do not you think it is a panel control problem? Or some other switches, connecters of aircon unit?
AO Silver Member
County: -

I think Lukas is right...

check relay/switches T5 and T9 on the fuse relay box near the battery (a front of it).

Mainly T5!!!

Here is a picture of which one is T5 and T9:
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot

I hope it's clutch related & electrical for your sake

If not

Get the gas levels checked out. If the level / pressure is low, the compressor will "protect itself" and not fully engage as the gas also acts as a lube for the compressor

You can get a can of magic from Halfords with a built in gauge if you fancy DIY.

Good time of the year to loose aircon though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

aircon or climate , control , problem