Oil Cooler, 156 - Water leaking out of hole - Help required - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Oil Cooler, 156 - Water leaking out of hole - Help required

CAR: 156 1.8 TS, LATE 2001
Engine number: 2650043

I have just found that I have a hole in the alloy oil cooler unit on my 156.
Its in the metal on one of the arms (the water one) in the one piece alloy just before the crimped ended pipes join it.
The hole is about 1mm in diameter and the water is just coming out onto the floor in a nice steady spurt.
I presume its just corroded / oxidised with time.

Fortunately Ive noticed it straight away, when i top up the water and turn the engine on, the water just comes out again and takes about 5 mins to empty, id imagine then the engine would of course start to overheat if it was left on.

The garage said they will replace it, but I want to get the replacement part for it myself probably 2nd hand rather than them have to order one from the main dealers (its a main dealer only part im told).

Can anyone tell me if its a big job to do (or can anyone do it or know anyone who can), and also if im buying one are they specific to certain models or years ? Is there a part number for them etc.

I think it maybe Part Number : 0060610797

If anyone can give me
• any advice on any of the above regarding what i need
• where to get one or has anyone got one themselves
• do the pipes on my car easilly reconnect to a replacement unit ?
• or can even fit one on it - please let me know - any advice or help appreciated. I dont mind paying to sort it out just dont want to have to fork out a fortune.

* The last time i used the forum last year i was quoted £650 to repair my air con pump from the garage and a very helpful Alfa expert guy from up Burnley way came and sorted it out for a fraction of this, many thanks.

156 1.6 t/s
Year 2000

Last edited by AndyJH; 11-09-13 at 22:41.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
Try autolusso on eBay, they had a 2nd hand one on there last time I looked, you can do the job yourself, all you need is the right size spanner and some new jubbly clips
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 11-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
hi thanks.

if removing the 2 old hoses from the old unit - do you then need something else to re-attach the hoses to the replacement unit ?
how are the original ones attached ?
if attaching new ones is there anything better than jubilee clips ?
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I don't know if the original clips can be reused .. they tend to use ones that have to be crimped back on. Jubilees are probably easier to get hold of but also easy to over tighten and damage the hose. You might be wise to replace the two small pieces of hose anyway.

I think you take the oil filter off, then you can remove the large nut beneath which releases the oil/water unit. Doesn't look a hard job ... I need to replace the two hoses on mine as they are showing signs of leaking (blue crust from coolant) but it's just getting the time. Probably when I do the next oil change which should be fairly soon.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , cooler , hole , leaking , oil , required , water