Oil Cooler, 156 - Water leaking out of hole - Help required
CAR: 156 1.8 TS, LATE 2001
Engine number: 2650043
Location: Bolton, Lancs
I have just found that I have a hole in the alloy oil cooler unit on my 156.
Its in the metal on one of the arms (the water one) in the one piece alloy just before the crimped ended pipes join it.
The hole is about 1mm in diameter and the water is just coming out onto the floor in a nice steady spurt.
I presume its just corroded / oxidised with time.
Fortunately Ive noticed it straight away, when i top up the water and turn the engine on, the water just comes out again and takes about 5 mins to empty, id imagine then the engine would of course start to overheat if it was left on.
The garage said they will replace it, but I want to get the replacement part for it myself probably 2nd hand rather than them have to order one from the main dealers (its a main dealer only part im told).
Can anyone tell me if its a big job to do (or can anyone do it or know anyone who can), and also if im buying one are they specific to certain models or years ? Is there a part number for them etc.
I think it maybe Part Number : 0060610797
If anyone can give me
• any advice on any of the above regarding what i need
• where to get one or has anyone got one themselves
• do the pipes on my car easilly reconnect to a replacement unit ?
• or can even fit one on it - please let me know - any advice or help appreciated. I dont mind paying to sort it out just dont want to have to fork out a fortune.
* The last time i used the forum last year i was quoted £650 to repair my air con pump from the garage and a very helpful Alfa expert guy from up Burnley way came and sorted it out for a fraction of this, many thanks.
156 1.6 t/s
Last edited by AndyJH; 11-09-13 at 22:41.