Selespeed Failure - causes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 17-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Selespeed Failure - causes

There ar eso many post including recent ones on Selespeed problems that I thought I should share this:

I have owned a 147 Selespeed since 2001 and I can't sell it for a decent price as no one wants it.

Since it was new I have been plagued with the dreaded Selespeed Failure Warning and it's various symptoms:

Stuck in reverse when the engine is off this is a real bummer! you can't even start the car.
Erratic gear changes and stuck in gears.
Stalling - nasty when it happens at traffic lights!
Won't go into reverse (usually cured by going into 1st, then reverse.
Failure alarms when nothing is wrong with the car.
Selespeed pump won't prime.
Etc, Etc

Things that have been changed under warranty over the years to try and fix the persistent problems:

Selespeed Pump
Brake pedal switch
Wiring looms
All the Computers
Resetting the system
More stuff I can't remember.

I got a few months trouble free then start with problems again!

Schus in Parow, Cape Town and FASA have been pretty good to me loaning me cars, or hiring them, listening to my complaints etc and it has not cost me a cent to date - just lots of inconvenience

About 2 years ago I discovered what is the MAIN CAUSE of the selespeed failure problems:

It is the earthing wires. As this system is all electronic (and Italian ) and it all runs on a common bus, so any problems with poor earths cause computer glitches. Every year I have had to have all contacts cleaned and sprayed with contact cleaner (relays, battery lugs, wires to the chassis, fuses, door contacts/sensors). The car is then problem free for about another year before dirt and corrosion starts to cause it to play up again.

I am back in the Selespeed Failure Warning Alarm mode yet again and have it booked into be sorted out next week. This time they have agreed for me to observe this process which takes less about an hour.

Just make sure the your mechanic/technician is aware of this info before you get into big spending on replacing parts to fix this.

Sponsored Links
Re: Selespeed Failure - causes

You've reminded me why I wouldn't touch one! Sorry to hear of your woes, owning a Selespeed should be great but is often just the opposite

AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

Its a shame as Alfa really shot themselves in the foot with this transmission. Just as they were getting their reliability reputation back they ruined it. Not one of their better efforts I am afraid. In theory it looked good, but a few miles down the line, not so.

Last edited by symon; 18-02-06 at 17:47.
AO Member

Had my selespeed since new, 61K kms later and it has never skipped a beat! Just the luck of the draw I guess.
AO Silver Member
County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

same here, 64k miles, not a single issue.
AO Member

Guys, this is pretty straightfoward - get the software upgrade released as part of Campaign 4407 applied to your Selespeed's - no problems since ...
AO Member
County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

alfa 147

our post is very helpful i am having trouble with my selespped. it was stuck in neutral..after months of battling i took it out and had the part cleaned. now i fitted it baack on the car wont start cos the key lost its immobilizer signal but at least now its taking gears 1,2,R. i think cleaning the part helped. but now its still giving errors .i have to get it atarted and hope that it works...
AO Member
County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

alfa 147

where can i get the sofware upgade from

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

failure , selespeed