Adjusting my flaps!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 15-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 sw

Adjusting my flaps!!!

I had quite a bit of fun this last month.
I managed to to snap the cable which adjusted my air ventilation flaps. Long story. I bought the new cable and said to myself I will give it a go one a Friday as I had a day off work to fit it.
Surfice to say it took almost 4 hours along with plenty of coffee and cigars.
I do not know if I did it right, these things are not designed to be got at.
I removed the center console comletely.
Removed the glovebox.
Removed all the gubbings in the passenger footwell.
With sweat, loss of skin, bad neck and a very flexible socket set managed to squeeze it into place.
Thinking about it, it might have been easier if I had removed the whole dash!
The next week I washed the car.
It froze, as it does here, and when I tried to put petrol in the car the release cable wouldn't budge. Frozen solid.
Tap the petrol cap cover, doesn't help, tap a bit harder, nothing. Give it a whack and lo and behold the cover opens, but snaps the retaining pin in half. Now my petrol if a free for all for anyone with a cyphen tube.
This was an easy job to replace but in minus 20, it was tricky.
Glad I did it as this had happened a few times and the replacement part is slightly different. The retaining pin is cone shaped so doesn't fit so tight, thus will not stick as bad again. Also found out that it had a emergency release rope on it. Which was inside the bodywork on the old part?
I get sniggers all the time from ********s at work asking what has gone wrong lately. It is all fun though, I don't want hobbies anyway.
Sponsored Links
Regional Representative
For South Africa - AO-SA
County: Gauteng
Re: Adjusting my flaps!!!

You are right, who needs hobbies when you have an Alfa to play with

Glad you got it sorted. I had to replace the vent cables on my Sud a few times, as they snap off at the heater box. My garage is next to my neighbour's living room, he must think that I am a sailor, or something, as I do tend to use some "choice" words when I get frustrated.
Bloody Italian engineers , They must all have arms thet can bend in 7 places and a removable eye that can be placed in "impossible to see" nooks.

Have you ever removed a starter from a Junior ? . Enough to make the Pope swear.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

adjusting , flaps