Originally Posted by michaeld
Give us an update when you get to the bottom of the problem.
Well, not sure how much help this is going to be. I took it back to the guy who fitted the thermostat on Monday night.
Tuesday morning he rang me and said
1. Your spark plugs are a bit crap. Or, at least, 6 are. 2 are new(!)
2. One of the HT leads was insecurely clipped on.
3. The induction (? I can't remember the word he used. Might have been that. Anyway somewhere the MAF I think he said) pipe/hose is damaged/leaking.
I turned down his offer to fit new plugs, cos they're bloody expensive, andanywaya service is due soon, and I figured worn plugs would be more like a gradual deterioration rather than a sudden change. He said he's bodge the pipe thing up and put the plugs/HT leads back.
Anyway I collected it tonight. No more pogoing and it runs fine. To be fair, he didn't charge me for that. He said, well I haven't really done anyway, just put it back together. But he has, of course.
Two things strike me, though.
1. The 96k "cheap" service I was planning in a month or so isn't looking so cheap if I replace the cambelt, tensioner, other belt and tensioner(?) (cos it's 3 years since...), and the damn plugs as well. I'll probably do all that, though. And get a new pipe thingey.
2. The temperature still isn't as high as you guys say it should be. Now it's the right side of 70 (which it never was before), but really only around 75-80 deg. Certainly not 90.
If anyone has an idea where this pipe/hose would be, I'll have a look under the bonnet.
Anyway, your comments/advice are much appreciated.