Extended Warrantee - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Extended Warrantee

Howdy Alfisti

My 156 2.0JTS wagon has done 45,000 Klms and its 36 month service is due next month. The dealer is selling 2 year warrantee extensions for $2200 (lets say ~900 pounds for arguments sake). I am unsure whether the extra cost will be money worth spent on a gamble that there WILL be expensive failures over the next two years, or whether the cars are generally reliable.

Is anyone experiencing major parts failures for older 156 cars between the 3rd and 5th year (say 50-80,000 klms)?

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: Extended Warrantee

I'm not a fan of extended warranties.

I only ever had one once and it cost 400 for a year. The stuff it covered was very small (less than the regular warranty) and I had to have the beast serviced every 5000 miles at an approved workshop (i.e. dealer).

The 5000 miles was generic wording in the warranty contract, not Alfa specific wording (i.e. 12000 mile service intervals).

So, I would have to have getting on 3-services instead of 1 and at main dealer prices, to cover a restrcted number of components.

I'd say if you change the cam-belt and tensioners at the 36month service and then keep the oil level topped up you'll have very little chance of an expensive failure. If you want, put the "warranty money" in your kiddie's bank account and only nick it back if you do happen to have a major blow-up.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Gold Member
County: Hampshire

I would agree with Ralf - I view extended warranties a bit like optional insurance in that you are paying out on the chance that something might go wrong. Better to put the money in an account (so you get the interest) and use that for decent repairs if you are unlucky.

Just remember that the warranty companies make money on these policies - they don't do it just for your benefit.

Mind you, that's just my personal opinion.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 09-02-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

First of all, my apologies for poor spelling - warranty, not a man holding a guarantee on the rack!

Not that it will make much difference to the responses (thanks guys), but the warranty is an AlfaRomeo Advantage Warranty. However I noticed in the fine print that the underwriter is Fortron Insurance. I have had an unpleasant experience with a Fortron warranty before.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

extended , warrantee