Originally Posted by Ross
Did the exhaust they deliver have the squashed pipes like in the picture? if so send it back as these are rubbish i had one of them fitted by the local try it on merchants and it made mine sound like one vw beetle, after some discussion they changed it for one with a proper full pipe diameter "y" section.
Sounds fine ... BuyPartsBy sell two units: the one I ordered, and the Roswell's link goes to, is a bit more expensive than the unit being sold on the website. We think that is the bog-standard Arvin Timax unit which is what you would get at KwikFit and the like, and others haven't been happy with those. This one doesn't have a manufacturers name on the site or on the part but it didn't look too bad.
BUT ... it was slightly shorter ... so the exhaust system is pulled forward a fraction. It's not enough to cause a problem as most of the mountings slide. But two of them are being pulled a bit, but still have enough play.
It went like this .....
It took me 25 minutes to get all the bolts out on Saturday ... lots of penetrating oil on Friday evening after propping the car up and taking the undertray off probably helped.
Or should I say, all the bolts ... BAR ONE!! One of the bolts on the pressed steel clamp was rounded off! Nothing I had would fit it and didn't really want to try a molegrip at that stage. Junior hacksaw wouldn't have worked as no room to work. I couldn't get to the bolt just above that would have let the exhaust drop off with the clamp. Lots of swearing and cursing and one partially pulled muscle in my right shoulder later I gave a local tyre/exhaust place a ring. Closing in 15 minutes but luckily they were open Sunday morning. So a whacked it all back and p*ssed of the neighbours on Sunday just before 9am ... ever hear a TSpark with no silencers! They managed to get the clamp off with the exhaust and then once in a vice managed to get the offending bolt out. They retapped the captive nuts and put new bolts in. All bolted back and back home just after 10am. Cost me £20 "cash in hand" ... I was more than happy with that.
Found that the heat shield just in front of the rear axle has broken away at one point but hard to reach because of the pipe. That may have to wait until the rest of the exhaust is changed. And it's still in pretty good nick even after 7 years and 101500 miles!!