Selespeed definitely losing large amounts of fluid via breather on cap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 04-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Selespeed definitely losing large amounts of fluid via breather on cap

My 147 Selespeed is dropping loads of fluid through the breather on the reservoir cap.

I have only just been able to confirm this as I was not sure where the leak was coming from.

The reason I'm sure that it is from the breather is by adding a catch can beneath the breather tube. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to leak when driving. Instead, as the car has been out of action over the last week and not driven, the catch can gathered at least 50 mils over the last week. It would not show a drop in the catch can over some recent long trips. I will point out that the driver's door has been opened and closed several times over the last week as my son was working on the interior of the car whilst it's been out of action.

My question is, does anyone know what would cause pressure to force fluid back up through the breather hose when the car has not been driven?

I'm hoping it is the accumulator as this would be a cheap repair. When the car was last driven, I checked the pressure using fiatmultiscan and it seemed to oscillate (correctly??) between about 45 and 55psi. I believe a faulty accumulator would allow the pressure to drop below 45 but perhaps this is another symptom of a faulty accumulator.

Last edited by sanman; 04-09-13 at 14:43. Reason: Clearer heading
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Sharon
If you add too much (which is easy) then it will spill through the tube after the pressure subsides and the fluid accumulates back in the reservoir (overnight). Check in the morning that it is between min and max.
AO Platinum Member
Does sound like there was too much fluid in the system.

As for the drivers door opening frequently. After a given number (10 I think) of door openings without an ignition on, the pump won't run again until the ignition is turned on.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

amounts , breather , cap , fluid , large , losing , selespeed