SW Rear window mech - repairable or not ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
SW Rear window mech - repairable or not ?

One of mine doesnt really work - when you press the switch it will go part way down with help but wont come back up - to get it back up you have to click the switch, pull the window and repeat over and over again until its back up.

The motor obviously works as it will go down but doesnt have the power to put the window back up.

I've tried the silicone lube in the window channels but its made no difference

Last night I stripped the doorcard and felt inside the regulator track and cable and put some grease on what I think was the moving bits but still no good.

Has anyone successfully removed, cleaned and lubricated and then put one of these back together ?

Or should I just buy a known working motor and reg

Just had the same plaver with the front wiper motor - stripped and cleaned and it still doesnt work so had to order another one - and getting at the window motor is much more fiddly !

Also are the SW and saloon motor/regs interchangeable ?
Sponsored Links
If you can remove the motor from the mechanism, you could test to see if it the motor or mechanism.

One rear window on mine did a similar thing. Would only wind up in little steps. I just did what you have to do every day for a fortnight or so. Lots of silicone lube on the runners each day and it slowly improved. Now works slowly but okay. I think it just got stiff through lack of use.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

I've got one that got slower and slower and now just clicks. Be interested how you get on.
AO Gold Member
Technically the saloon and sportwagon ones are different, but in practice you can interchange them. The SW windows seem more prone to sticking as they have a larger area of "channel" for the window to run in. Always a good idea to operate the rear windows at least once a week to keep them mobile. Lubricating them doesn't do any harm, either

If you decide to remove the assembly to replace it, its a lot easier if you can get the window to wind most of the way down first, as it allows more clearance for the peg to come out of the glass. Got plenty of winder motor assemblies if you are in need.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

One of my rear windows was slow, the other would not move at all. I stripped down the doors, removed the motors, mechanisms and glass - cleaned it all - silicone lubed the runners. They work fine now Very common problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

mech , rear , repairable , window